Considering importing used FFE into Canada

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosebank

Hi Everyone! I have been following this forum for a few months while I considered a Ford Focus Electric.

I am Mark and am located in eastern Canada, New Brunswick to be a little more specific. I am a Mechanical Engineer interested in a science project on a budget.

There are very few, if any, FFE in New Brunswick or neighbouring province of Nova Scotia. There are not rebates or incentives. Keep costs down I am considering importing a used FFE, likely 2012, where someone else has taken the hit for depreciation. I'll keep you posted on my adventure / science project.

I got a call this evening from my car guy and apparently I am the owner of an 2012 FFE Ice Storm with leather and 1750 miles (2800 km) on it, final cost less than CAN$ 25,000 (US$ 22,750) before taxes; I know I over paid but I don't think they sold 100 cars in a population the size of California and I did not want a white car that would get lost in the snow. From what I have been told the car "checks out" and was Ford Executive driven when it was not on display. My wife is going in tomorrow to sort out the details and with luck we'll have it in the driveway it a week to 10 days.

I just filled up my current car with gas in at was CAN$ 1.334 a litre (or $US 4.60/us gal) something I will not miss paying.

My daily commute is 36 miles each way, 2/3rds highway driving at 70 mph (120 km/hr). I'll need to recharge at work otherwise it will be a long slow drive home. I work at an electrical utility that has free charging station at head office and one other location for their Chevy Volts but not at my location yet.

The adventure is getting a little more real.

Considering there are no rebates/incentives in your area, and the FFE you are looking at has less than 2000 miles, I suspect you're not overpaying at all. Good luck Mark, keep us posted!

Did you qualify for the government rebate on top of that price?

Your price is really good considering you are in Canada. I live in Montreal and bought my FFE last November 2013. I paid $28,500 taxes included after the rebate. My car had 200km.
I know it was sitting on the lot for over a year, but i have driven it for 3 months (no winter driving) and love it.

Congrats!

We picked up car yesterday after work. Had seen it the previous evening just off the car carrier. It travelled the milk route from Ontario with a number of cars that driver was committed to deliver first. FFE spent four days on a car carrier, turned on but with parking brake set, and had to be boosted to get move it. The car is silent and no one could tell it was running.

My Car Guy had to crawl into the hatch from the back seat to get the 120 volt charger out of its original packing. 12 v battery has to be charged first to power the charger before it will accept a charge. Car has just 2800 km, manual and navigation chip were in original plastic and it was not titled until yesterday. Ford sold 55 FFE in Canada in 2012 and the 56th is ours(?).

Drove home to drop the chase car off and did the "friends and family tour". I though the car was quiet until I realized the fan was running; I shut fan off and car is silent. Strange looks on folks faces when we drove away with no noise. My parent neighborhood is over run with deer - I got within 10' of four of them and they looked up but continued to graze.

Checked out a 240 volt charging station at a local hotel for 30 minutes to confirm it was operational. Talked to folks at the desk and they said just plug in anytime its complementary. Several teenagers who happen by to use the pool (indoor - we had snow flurries yesterday) were shocked to see someone actually see a car plugged in. Returned home and plugged in overnight to prepare to next day's adventure.

2012 Frosted Glass FFE
2006 Ford Taurus
2008 Suzuki Swift+

EV's certainly elicit odd reactions. When I went over to the local dealer and said I wanted an FF Electric, it was like, "you want what?"
And when I said ok get me one, it was, "where can we find one?" So the search began. Only 2 left for sale in the province and neither one is the colour I want. I also got lots of I dunno's to questions I asked about the various options listed in the car description.
Things like, does it have a spare tire? What are articulated cornering lights? I can guess but hey, Gotta ask right?
The price tag just sucks, but hey, as usual, the rest of the world gets the shaft if your not American.
For what its worth, ford is fairly stringent on what they require dealerships to have in place before they can sell the electrics.
This accounts for the fact that few of them have any on hand.
I'm waiting patiently for my sales person to give me the answers and tell me that my new toy is on its way.
I am so looking forward to driving past the gasoline price signs and giving them my very best thumb to nose every time the numbers change.
I read an interesting article about "are EV's really green?" Well the answer is NO, they are not. But, they aren't the worst either.
My thought on the matter is that people will rarely buy an EV because it makes a green statement. Rather they will buy an EV because it's much less expensive to operate. Example. I expect my $250.00 fuel cost to drop to less than $10.00 per month. That's right, I'm currently city driving my 7.3L diesel excursion to work everyday and that's what it's costing me. Am I going to get rid of my excursion?
Certanly NOT. I love my Ex just like I'm going to love my new FFE.

Zurc.

Zurc said:
Well the answer is NO, they are not.
Well actually.. This question is argued many different ways (and you can usually tell who wrote the article based on the conclusions that they come to--typically the conclusions are determined before the evidence is gathered).

In general EVs are "green" in as much as they are more efficient than their ICE counterparts. The CO2 generated during manufacturing is larger for EVs but not so much that it dwarfs the efficiency savings.
As far as power consumed per mile they are much more efficient than ICE vehicles (like 3x to start with not including the CO2 generated for transport of gas). This means that EVs are still more efficient even when using "dirty" electricity (from coal) not by much but the equation still works out in EVs favor.

"This question is argued many different ways "

Indeed it is.

And it would help if those arguments could be limited to simple comparisons between the advantages and disadvantages of ICE and EV's from a consumers point of view.

Had the big wigs done some serious thinking 120 years ago we would never have gone strictly with the gasoline engine in the first place.

Henry Fords Wife had the real "better Idea". Too bad Henry and his buddy's didn't pay much attention to the fact that she was driving a BEV. :(
And what's more, she wasn't the only one driving around in one. I spoke with a very old fellow many years ago and he told me a story about how he was picked up at the border and taken to his destination in a horseless carriage that didn't make much noise and there was no smoke. When he asked the driver about it, he was told that it ran on electric and it had battery's. At the time, he hadn't heard about electrics so it was news to him.

Zurc

glad to find someone that have done what i am planning to do :)

I live in Vancouver BC and found a 2013 FFEV in WA for $21k, i have no experience importing cars but i think its pretty straightforward ? and the Canadian import fee/tax is around 6% ?

I was wondering about the warranty, will Nissan Canadian dealer honor it ? is there any other things to be worries about?

I think the big drawback would be resale value if Nissan dealers dont want to touch it

I have had my 2012 Ford Focus Electric since April this year. I had my car guy find one outside Windsor Ontario with 2800 km (1750 miles) on it for $25,000 before taxes FOB my town. There is no rebate for any EV's in New Brunswick so I had to pay 13% sales tax to register the car. I had a level 2 charge installed for about $1000 at home.

The Focus looks like a regular focus and is better equipped that the 2014 Ford Fussion ICE my parents just bought. They paid about the same. Initially they thought I was nuts but after driving in the car are now wishing they had at least considered it or a plug-in hybrid.

I have a 120 km (75 mile) round trip commute that is mostly highway. I can use a 120 volt plug at work that give me a full charge to get home. I have put 5440 km (3400 miles) on car in approximately eight weeks. I am getting about 175 wh/km for mileage and really enjoy the car.

What about the warranty Rosebank? Is it covered by your local candian ford dealer? Or you must tow it to the state next time a problem occur?

kilimats said:
What about the warranty Rosebank? Is it covered by your local candian ford dealer? Or you must tow it to the state next time a problem occur?

In the end I ended up with a Canadian Car so no warrantee issues. :p

Back