More unofficial delays with the Ford Focus Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focusbev

Back in August of 2011 on this Ford Focus Electric forum, a user had posted a message from the Electrified Vehicles Marketing Manager at Ford stating that the late 2011 rollout of the Ford Focus Electric would happen only in the New York, New Jersey and California markets, and the rest of the markets would follow in Spring 2012. (see here)

Other than 8 sold in Michigan, including one to Google, there have been no other reports of Ford Focus Electrics being sold. Now, the Ford Focus Electric website lists the 'Mid 2012 states' that will receive the rollout: Arizona, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

Back on February 2nd, Mike Tinskey, associate director for Ford's Global Electric Vehicle Infrastructure said the Ford Focus Electric vehicle should start becoming available in all 19 markets around September.

He's referring to the initial 19 markets that Ford first announced (way back in early 2011) would get the Ford Focus Electric in late 2011.

I wonder how many early adopter sales Ford will lose on this ... have to believe that the initial market is still relatively small numbers but it's an opportunity lost. With gas prices on the rise, I would think that the ICE Focus will ramp up before they allocate a small number of EV versions that they simply can't make (and sell) in the same numbers ... of course I would think that the EV would bring more per unit profit but what's the ratio? Ford sold 14,400 Focus cars during January so even if you matched the December run of 8; that's about .05%

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html

I really thought the entire point of using the Focus was that they could just change the power train out on the assembly like just like any other option. So I thought they could roll out to everyone who wanted one at the same time.

The Nissan LEAF is still not in my state, so Ford could have been first to market. I think the people in Ford marketing must have been sleeping in college when they decide to only roll out in areas where the LEAF has been on sale for a year before selling the Focus EV. Being first to market is big. This is really true when you look at the Ford and Nissan market shares in the rollout areas. The Japanese car companies own the West coast and I think the East coast. Ford owns the fly over states.

So Ford is thinking that giving the EV market to Nissan in the areas where Ford has the edge was a good idea? :?:

Back