Have 208V at work, useless?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad

Hi all. Just purchased a 2013 today. I have 208V single phase outlet at work. I was wondering if I could use it somehow with some sort of inexpensive device or is a charging station required? I have a 35 mile commute to work and I'm nervous that 120V will not give me enough juice to get back home. TIA.

I think you'll be more than fine with that arrangement. If you drive conservatively, 35 miles each way with (I'm assuming) around 8-10 hours to "top off" while at work, your commute should be easily handled.

Assuming you head to work with a full charge, after 35 miles you should have about half a charge left. Then, 8-10 hours of charge time while working should leave you with nearly a full charge again. Whatever the case, you should have more than enough to drive the 35 miles back home.

Once you get home (again, about half a charge left after driving 35 miles), you should have plenty of time (overnight) to reach a full charge again for the morning.

Some of the level 2 charging stations can handle 208 volts. The Ford charging station says on the box it's good for 208-240 VAC. Research the specification of the charging station before purchasing.
1) Voltage
2) Amperage
3) Indoor / Outdoor

Brad,
What did you make to use 208V? Is it 3 phase?
The street lamps in our work parking lot are 208V. Seems like the most expensive part of putting in the charging station is running the power line to the car. There are lots of street lights in the parking lot, right next to the cars. The street lights are not on during the day, so their circuit could be used for car charging when the light is off :D ?
What kind of charging station would work best with them?

Back