Can I use my 20a, 125v outlet with a charging station

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrusso

I have an outlet in my garage that's listed as 20amp and 125v. Assuming I can find a converter to a normal plug, can I use this power source with the default charging cord that comes with the car? I was hoping this 20amp (vs the standard 15amp) would charge my car a little quicker without going for the full level 2 charger.

mrusso said:
I have an outlet in my garage that's listed as 20amp and 125v. Assuming I can find a converter to a normal plug, can I use this power source with the default charging cord that comes with the car? I was hoping this 20amp (vs the standard 15amp) would charge my car a little quicker without going for the full level 2 charger.

The car controls the amount of current drawn. It doesn't know you have a 20 Amp source so won't charge any faster

Level 2 is 240V

Also it is possible that the 240V is on different pins on the plug from the 120V

mrusso said:
So how does a level 2 charging station inform the car that more current is available?
The 240 volt L2 EVSE installed in your garage generates a "Pilot Signal" that tells the car the maximum current draw available in amps. The on-board charger in the car then respects that maximum. The L1 charging cable that comes with your car generates a pilot signal that limits current to 12 amps.

Since your outlet can supply 20 amps, the 12 amp draw from your car will not be a problem as long as other loads on the circuit are less than 4 amps (sustained loads should be 80% or less of the circuit breaker/rating).

Back