No Garage - Charging 120v outside

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stingray

I have decided that a FFE is the right car for me given my daily driving and that I can charge at work by an EVSE each day.
I have no garage and the FFE will always be outside when at home and charged using the 120v adapter. The only remaining issue that concerns me is the 120v adapter appears to be fully external to the vehicle and likely susceptible to water when raining or snowing.

Does anyone else have experience using the 120v charging in wet conditions?

I've charged mine outside in the rainy wet weather, but my charger (er, EVSE) itself was on the inside of the garage. I think you will have to be most concerned with where the charger is placed...I wouldn't put it outside myself. The owners manual, which can be retrieved online, might answer more questions about placement. You can find the manual(s) here... http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Focus%20Electric .

In a public or shared setting you will want to be mindful of cord placement as well.

I also charge outside in the rain with the included charger, but keep the power brick itself inside the door of the garage. The unit itself seems to be pretty well sealed, but I'm not planning on testing the limits of that protection. The J1772 charge handle and port on the car are (to my knowledge) designed to be used even during rain or snow - anyone else chime in on that as needed..

Dreaming-in-Focus said:
I also charge outside in the rain with the included charger, but keep the power brick itself inside the door of the garage.

Me too, the 120 brick is just inside the garage door and the line goes under the closed door. I am installing a Schneider charger in the garage because I want the flexibility of fast charging but I'm still wondering how I'll route the cable to the outside in times when I can't fit the car inside.

I charge my 2012 FFE in the driveway outside the garage. The main part of the unit sits in the garage as some people mention for theirs. I called my local Ford dealer to check on safety and was told the outside "plug-in part" to the car port is completely safe. It is designed such that even heavy rain will present no problems.

Back