Ford Focus Electric Forum
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/

Ford is recalling 120v chargers
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4483
Page 3 of 3

Author:  thanhdaica1985 [ Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

I waited 3 hours to get this done on Saturday. Took a quick nap at the dealer. Woke up and drank their complimentary K-cup coffee and drank like 10 mini-water bottle (also complimentary) while bing-watched Z-nation on Netflix. May as well enjoyed the half day wait and maximize their complimentary amenities. :P

Author:  thanhdaica1985 [ Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

Just wondering how long do you have to wait for the part to arrive? It's getting close to 3 weeks now since I took my car in for the recall. They told me to come back when the part arrives. I haven't heard from them since ... Ford is terrible with their service department. I've never had any problem when I owned a Honda.

Author:  TrojanEV [ Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

I'm beginning to hate Ford and Ford service with the strength of a thousand suns. I took my charger in 3-4 weeks ago, and they confirmed that it was eligible for replacement (I would hope so, since the rubber is melting away) and I was told the part wasn't available (despite the most recent recall letter saying it was... go figure). No status updates from my dealer... I have to call and bug them every couple weeks to see if it's available. Still nothing. I hope my house doesn't burn down in the meantime. I'll be sure to sue Ford for every last penny if it does.

Author:  TrojanEV [ Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

My part finally came in (after I called the dealership again of course... since they weren't organized enough to call me). Currently sitting in the service lounge waiting for them to "inspect" the vehicle (what a joke). This after I already brought the vehicle in once and they inspected the charger and confirmed it was eligible for replacement. They now insist they have to check for some codes or something. I call BS. I wish someone could tell us what the technical bulletin actually says they have to do. I have now spent 3+ hours of my life swapping out a damn charging cord. F!&@ Ford.

Author:  thanhdaica1985 [ Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

TrojanEV wrote:
My part finally came in (after I called the dealership again of course... since they weren't organized enough to call me). Currently sitting in the service lounge waiting for them to "inspect" the vehicle (what a joke). This after I already brought the vehicle in once and they inspected the charger and confirmed it was eligible for replacement. They now insist they have to check for some codes or something. I call BS. I wish someone could tell us what the technical bulletin actually says they have to do. I have now spent 3+ hours of my life swapping out a damn charging cord. F!&@ Ford.


5 weeks now and still no sign of the charger. Did they take away your old charger?

Author:  EVA [ Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

The letter saying they now have parts arrived in late January. We were in the middle of a move - so waited until early Feb to see our new Ford dealer. Nobody there knew anything about the recall - but they were happy to learn.

It took about 3 weeks for the Ford dealer in Indiana - near South Bend - to get the replacement part. The parts manager was super nice, they actually called me when the part arrived. The thing lists for $650. Had to go into the dealer to pick up the part - took about 30 minutes because they've never seen anything like that before and weren't real sure what to do.

The new EVSE is amazing - really gorgeous piece of equipment. Way better than the original.

Yes they do take the old one from you. It is a trade in program. I think they cut the cord and send it back to Ford (or dispose of it).

I have two of the recalled parts. The first one is linked to the car VIN. The second one, they weren't sure what Ford wanted to do. So I'm waiting for a call from the dealer. They expect the second one will be replaced also. Ford wants these taken out of use.

The whole exchange was kind of funny. The guy asked me, is the car here (I drove into the service bay with a green Tesla). I said, no you don't really need the car, it's just a swap for this thing. He smiled, went away, and had about three other people help figure out how to do the paper work. Essentially, it took about 30 minutes for them to do the paper work. (drove the Tesla because we are new to the area, the Nav really sucks on the FFE, and we didn't want to get lost).

Bottom line - you don't have to take your car in for this recall. Just take the letter and they will figure it all out.

Author:  thanhdaica1985 [ Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

EVA wrote:
The letter saying they now have parts arrived in late January. We were in the middle of a move - so waited until early Feb to see our new Ford dealer. Nobody there knew anything about the recall - but they were happy to learn.

It took about 3 weeks for the Ford dealer in Indiana - near South Bend - to get the replacement part. The parts manager was super nice, they actually called me when the part arrived. The thing lists for $650. Had to go into the dealer to pick up the part - took about 30 minutes because they've never seen anything like that before and weren't real sure what to do.

The new EVSE is amazing - really gorgeous piece of equipment. Way better than the original.

Yes they do take the old one from you. It is a trade in program. I think they cut the cord and send it back to Ford (or dispose of it).

I have two of the recalled parts. The first one is linked to the car VIN. The second one, they weren't sure what Ford wanted to do. So I'm waiting for a call from the dealer. They expect the second one will be replaced also. Ford wants these taken out of use.

The whole exchange was kind of funny. The guy asked me, is the car here (I drove into the service bay with a green Tesla). I said, no you don't really need the car, it's just a swap for this thing. He smiled, went away, and had about three other people help figure out how to do the paper work. Essentially, it took about 30 minutes for them to do the paper work. (drove the Tesla because we are new to the area, the Nav really sucks on the FFE, and we didn't want to get lost).

Bottom line - you don't have to take your car in for this recall. Just take the letter and they will figure it all out.


You got lucky that your dealer is so nice. Not so much for my dealer. Every time I call to check on the cord, my adviser blames it on Ford. He said that they have charger cord on hands but the recall part is different. That's just a load BS. I submitted a complaint to BBB. I'll wait and see how long it'll take them now.

Author:  Heima [ Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

Hey EVA, do you happen to have a picture of that new EVSE? Thanks.

Author:  thanhdaica1985 [ Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ford is recalling 120v chargers

Heima wrote:
Hey EVA, do you happen to have a picture of that new EVSE? Thanks.


EVA, could you also post the part number of the new EVSE? Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/