EVSE faults

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethdakine

So a while ago, my EVSE started blinking the red outlet symbol during charging, but the charge continued. I noticed the cord and the outlet was getting warm. I assumed it was because I only have a 20 amp circuit on my garage and I am also plugging in my wife's Leaf. But the problem I am trying to wrap my head around is it should have tripped the circuit breaker if I was drawing too much load. Now the EVSE is blinking with the triangle fault symbol when I plug in. Could the problem be with the EVSE? My wife's Leaf EVSE has no issues and will actually charge my Focus. I tried plugging my Focus EVSE into a different outlet/circuit/breaker in my house through an extension cord and it is doing the same (heating up, blinking, faulting). Anyone else experience similar issues?

how dirty is your plug. I'm guessing the heat sensor in the plug is what is causing your fault. Heat comes from resistance usually due to corroded plug prongs. how old is your evse?

I personally think the ford supplied evse is a pos. My 2013 does not have the thermistor in the plug and it runs hot. My cheap ebay 16a evse has no issues at all in the same outlets. The ford one will pop gfi outlets too. The plug looks a bit melted on the one pin with discoloration and some white discharge. Im thinking of chopping it off and replacing it. I dont really use it anymore. Ive seen other people have had the same problems with the ford evse.

Agree, that's why I hacked up my OEM EVSE and am modding it to a 240V fire starter.. :lol: I believe the OEM EVSE is covered by the 8 year part of the warranty so you could probably get a new one if your plug has gone bad.

Back