HV Battery Voltage fully charged and fully empty

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainventor

hi there am going to modify my car with older refurbished Tesla Battery pack 90 cells think full each cell 4.2 volts 378 volts

if I splice them into inverter hvdc is that too high of voltage to fill the 2 focus batteries in series , want to make a range-ex since can get the 5kw hour bricks for $1,200 each so 4 should get me possible 16.5kw hour usuable should get me another 60 miles.

So 1 thing also forgot have 2013 Ford Electric.

Anyone know what full voltage on Focus is and a safe charging voltage is and will the Tesla packs be too high at full charge at 378 volts and think charge and drive that might make a difference too on the top end voltage.

Any info would be great doing this as a summer project to charge and drive so I can get back and forth on my 82 mile commute and run AC so I do not sweat to death.

Where are you located? Sounds like an interesting project. You will have to do some reconfiguring, IIRC the focus battery has 88 cells. I think the nominal cell voltage is 3.7V and full pack charge is 360V or about 4.1V per cell. Google can probably help you verify these numbers. I am curious as to how you plan to implement this. I can't imagine a 90 cell pack spliced in with an 88 cell pack would work very well.

triangles

I am in Eastern Iowa by Davenport, IA . Thanks for the info about 88 cells in Focus compared to 90 in Tesla. HVDC would probably give some wiggle room like +/- 10%. I know on the Focus Level 2 compensates input voltages like down to 100 VAC input per leg to like 160 VAC per leg on electricity for onboard battery charging.

Back