Lost Charging Quadrant Not covered by Warranty

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffe_az

This is more of a definitive statement than anything else for anyone who looks up the question, but didn't find the answer until later in the posts.

Symptom: Lost 3/4 quadrants on the outside charge ring indicator (only the 50-75% one lights up) on a 2013 FFE with 55K mi. Brought it into the local dealer in hopes of it being covered under the Hybrid or Powertrain extended warranty coverage beyond B2B (bumper to bumper).

Outcome: The dealer called me after running the part number and said that there was no coverage in my case. Given that it would cost $500, I said I would live without it and passed. Maybe I will just replace it myself someday, but for now using MyFordMobile will do to check the actual SOC or looking on the touchscreen.

Sources:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3388&start=10 - Myfocuselectric.com prior thread here showing the same result as me
http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/4254-ring-light-partially-dead/page-2? - See the second post down for a similar result on a C-MAX Energi

how the F is the charge port ring not an EV component? I had mine replaced May 2017, thankfully still within the B2B warranty period. Hopefully the new one lasts more than 2.5 years like the original.

That's sad, but not unexpected.

I guess the reason it isn't covered as an EV component - the part is listed as a Body / Fender component.

Hard to figure out why it is $500 to replace. The port is $85
CHARGING PORT - FORD (CM5Z-10370-E)
Now if that includes the LED lights or not is hard to tell from the part picture. Maybe there is a lot of labor to replace the port?

Also not strictly required for functioning of the EV/drivetrain components. Stupid but true... Ford's gonna use every reason to weasel themselves out of paying for anything.

EVA said:
Hard to figure out why it is $500 to replace. The port $85.

The installation is time consuming. The mechanic has to remove the tire and inner fender. It would take at least three hours to change out the port.

Mine went out under warranty. At the time, I think I read someone else had a similar problem. Doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to change it out, but I have a hard time believing that that component would actually go bad...LEDs should be quite durable. If you don't want to pay the dealer to fix it, I'd try the following:
1) If you are mechanically inclined, try checking it out yourself...remove the tire and whatever else was mentioned here and check the connection. If that check out and/or you don't want to mess with it, try:
2) Pretend you don't like the LED lights and go into the setup screen and disable the light ring. Save a few mili-watts of power and go green. ;)

I guess the main function of the LEDs is alerting others that your car is still charging so they don't yank your connection... if you're in a workplace or apartment type of situation with many cars and few chargers. Otherwise yeah, who cares?

spirilis said:
I guess the main function of the LEDs is alerting others that your car is still charging so they don't yank your connection... if you're in a workplace or apartment type of situation with many cars and few chargers. Otherwise yeah, who cares?

I use mine as a nightlight in the garage....... :lol:

my ring is going out...only one quadrant left on a 2014 with ~15,000 miles.

this does not seem to affect charging or range.

Its not necessary to remove the wheel and inner fender. The quadrant, with door mechanism, is held in place by four knobs.
Remove the chargedoor, held by a clip, and use a screwdriver or similar to free the quadrant from the knobs. It does not interfere with the chargeconnector.
A small connector needs to be disconnected.
Connect the new quadrant and push it (carefully) in place.

Gubra said:
Its not necessary to remove the wheel and inner fender. The quadrant, with door mechanism, is held in place by four knobs.
Remove the chargedoor, held by a clip, and use a screwdriver or similar to free the quadrant from the knobs. It does not interfere with the chargeconnector.
Got a photo of that?

Pearl said:
Gubra said:
Got a photo of that?
Yeah really. I don't see a part listing for the LED ring. Only the entire connector.
I'd say, got a part number and a picture of that replaceable ring.

And I'm serious - one quadrant is out on mine. Not that it is really important, if the repair is that easy, I'd do it.

Mine dropped a 1/4 on my black FFE's (had 2 both did it) My silver FFE hasn't done it. I just flipped it off on the black ones once replaced. The dealer's replaced them, but they were both under warranty at the time.

I recently replaced the light ring myself and thought a picture might be helpful to those who might be considering a DIY repair. Contrary to a previous post, it would be EXTREMELY difficult to remove it without removing the fender liner. Even if you could, there isn't enough room to get your hand down to unclip the electrical connector. It's best to jack the car up a bit to increase the clearance between the tire and fender (it's not necessary to remove the wheel). The fender liner is held on by a few clips and about 10 screws. Once the liner is removed you have to press in four plastic clips on the back of the charge ring. They are extremely difficulty to press because the plastic is very rigid. It's best to try and get one pushed out at a time and work your way around without allowing the previous one to clip back in place. It WILL take more than one try. There is very little clearance between the plastic of the ring and the fender metal, so a little wiggling is required. One out, unclip the electrical connector. Luckily the new ring installs much easier. Just line up the side tabs and press straight in untill you hear the clips click.

https://ibb.co/WVMVgnK
https://ibb.co/3m7cgtQ

James what is the part number for the light ring? Is this it? CHARGING PORT - FORD (CM5Z-10370-E) Or is this the charge ring and port?

It's the charge ring - you don't need the port. The port and ring are separate from each other. There's no need to disconnect anything high voltage (ie the charge port). The ring is just connected the the 12 volt wiring only.

Back