FFE level 2 EVSE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeler

I have detached garage at back of the house. there are existing wire to the garage doing the garage door opener and lighting.

How traumatic is the 240v wiring from basement panel to the backyard and to the garage? all my basement are finished and back yard fully brick-covered.

Is there a conduit under ground that builder had already built so we can add wire?

modeler said:
I have detached garage at back of the house. there are existing wire to the garage doing the garage door opener and lighting.

How traumatic is the 240v wiring from basement panel to the backyard and to the garage? all my basement are finished and back yard fully brick-covered.

Is there a conduit under ground that builder had already built so we can add wire?
I doubt any of us could answer that...

Is there a sub-panel inside the garage?

modeler said:

Yes, there is obviously conduit under the ground. It's likely under the center of (or slightly offset) your brickwork. Simply remove several bricks and dig a few feet down. No more than 6ft I'm sure. If you don't find it, I'm sure you're close so just move over and continue to F up your brickwork.

... just kidding ... I'm not that mean!

First, if the power to the garage isn't overhead then YES it's underground. Second, is there a panel in the garage? If the answer to that is YES ... or even NO ... call an electrician asap. There is likely conduit to add another line, but without being there it's hard to help. An electrician will trace the existing wires and tell you what your options are.

Sadly, even if there is conduit, chances are great that it won't allow you to pull another wire. Even if you could pull a new wire, it is highly likely they used a small diameter conduit that wouldn't accommodate the heavy wire required for 240V.

The only real answer is what all others have said, call an electrician. You'll probably only have to lift a fairly narrow portion of your brick to put the new wire in. And it will be expensive - they have to run pretty thick gauge copper wire (read, not cheap per foot).

I'd agree with everyone else, call an electrician. However, if you are looking to see what you'd expect that electrician to tell you before he comes, here is a list of what I would do...
1) Find where the electricity comes into the garage. Look for conduit coming out of the ground next to the garage somewhere along its perimeter. If you don't see it, and your garage isn't drywalled, look between the vertical studs or trace your the conduit/romex/whatever to an origination point. If you wee 1" conduit, you are probably good and you might be able to run a new line. If it is smaller, then you are likely needing to run another conduit.
2) How far from the meter will your EVSE be located? I think my run was 50' and I needed 8 gauge wire. That was for a 6.6KW EVSE. Anything more than that or longer distances will require larger diameter wire...and hence, more cost. I ran my in 3/4" conduit. That was 3 x 8 gauge wires. Larger wires or additional wires may need larger conduit. There are rules that will tell you what is acceptable in the Electrical code for your city...which is pretty standard so you can look online.

Those 2 will be the most significant portion of the expense of the EVSE aside from the EVSE itself. Other electrical items are needed, but would pale in comparison to the other costs.

For my 50' run, it took me half a day and about $250 worth of wire, conduit, circuit breaker, socket, and other supplies.

Back