backfeeding power

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainventor

Hi, does anyone know if I were to wire a second battery onto main 12 volt battery would it draw power out of second battery before it drew power from high voltage DC to 12v low dc converter.

The reason I'm asking is aux battery could be charged with 12vdc battery charger at night to gain possibly 1600 watts and my avg 230 watts / mile 1600 watts/230 watts = 6.956 around 7 mile gain driving if charged at home the night before.

Or for that matter, is the dc/dc converter bi-directional? Like if I went into EV battery death mode 0 miles left will getting a jump from another vehicle will it backfeed into high voltage battery too?

thanks

iainventor

iainventor said:
Hi, does anyone know if I were to wire a second battery onto main 12 volt battery would it draw power out of second battery before it drew power from high voltage DC to 12v low dc converter.

The reason I'm asking is aux battery could be charged with 12vdc battery charger at night to gain possibly 1600 watts and my avg 230 watts / mile 1600 watts/230 watts = 6.956 around 7 mile gain driving if charged at home the night before.

Or for that matter, is the dc/dc converter bi-directional? Like if I went into EV battery death mode 0 miles left will getting a jump from another vehicle will it backfeed into high voltage battery too?

thanks

iainventor
No it wouldn't use the 2nd battery first: It would work like any other multiple battery system and draw them both. In addition if the 2nd battery wasn't matched to the one in the car you would have the possibility of one or the other batteries failing thanks to the other one (it would be just like running multiple batteries in an RV or a golf cart).

No you can't charge the HV battery from the 12V battery--for one thing there simply isn't enough juice in the 12V battery to be worth it (if there was wouldn't they just use 12V batteries?).

Back