Charging done sooner than estimated.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if when I stop after driving to work or home Etc and the car tells me it will be done charging at whatever time and it is almost always done charging at least two hours before that. Could that be a sign of battery degradation? I always show at least 85 to 95 miles on the guess-o-meter and it seems to run pretty true to the mileage I do.

Higeroctave32 said:
So if when I stop after driving to work or home Etc and the car tells me it will be done charging at whatever time and it is almost always done charging at least two hours before that. Could that be a sign of battery degradation? I always show at least 85 to 95 miles on the guess-o-meter and it seems to run pretty true to the mileage I do.
Where are you getting the estimate from? The screen on the dash?

Go into your charge settings on the screen and you'll see a selection for the default charger level 1 or level 2 (120V or 240V). It is likely set at level 1--including the default. I frequently had to go in and reset it to Level 2 when I had my FFE.

I would guess your work/home 120V is on the high side maybe 129V or something like that. Remember Power(kWh) = Volts X Amps. The Amps is controlled by the charger based on whatever the EVSE says in the case of the convenience cord its 12A So if your volts are a little high you'd be getting more power than the charge time algorithm estimates and your charge cycle done sooner. Take this with a grain of salt as I said in my first sentence. This is just a guess of what's going on based on my knowledge of electrical things.

I've seen the opposite when I had my EVSE set at 8A (I have an adjustable EVSE) plugged into an unknown 120V outlet. The initial estimated finish time was 10+ hours too early.

Back