triangles
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: We can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC cha

Mon May 15, 2017 6:55 am

cutler03gt wrote:Someone on the Facebook group for FFE Owners just had his battery fail in his 2013. They put in a 2017 battery under warranty. Ford is sending out a Field Service Engineer (my previous position) to the dealer to do the calibration updates. It looks like they haven't setup a method of doing so at the dealer level yet.
There's a FFE facebook group? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I am.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

cutler03gt
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 pm
Location: Livonia, MI
Contact: Website

Re: We can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC cha

Mon May 15, 2017 7:46 am

Yeah "Ford Focus Electric Owners' Group". A whopping 283 members. Oddly, there's a "Ford Focus Electric Club - Jordan" with 3,883 members. Apparently they're popular in Jordan.
2017 Oxford White FFE
2017 Magnetic C-MAX Energi Titanium
2013 C-MAX Energi (lease returned 12/15)

Pearl
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: We can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC cha

Mon May 15, 2017 7:52 am

triangles wrote: There's a FFE facebook group? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I am.
Ironically there is this one too.

https://www.facebook.com/ohio.ffe.owners/

perfect for us.
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape

TareqAwad
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Re: We can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC cha

Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 am

cutler03gt wrote:Yeah "Ford Focus Electric Owners' Group". A whopping 283 members. Oddly, there's a "Ford Focus Electric Club - Jordan" with 3,883 members. Apparently they're popular in Jordan.

My group Ford Focus Electric clup jordan with 6000 members

triangles
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC charge

Thu May 25, 2017 8:03 am

TareqAwad wrote:My group Ford Focus Electric clup jordan with 6000 members
Have they even made 6000 FFEs? <sarcasm> :lol:
Pearl wrote: Ironically there is this one too.

https://www.facebook.com/ohio.ffe.owners/

perfect for us.
What!?!? I didn't know there was enough of us for our own group! :lol: I'm joining it right away.

Back to the topic of this thread. For anyone not on the Facebook group. The guy with the 2013 FFE with a new 2017 battery got his car back. He hasn't pushed it to see how far he can get but has done two short charge cycles and all indications are that he has the full capacity available and his pack is indeed the 33.5kWh pack. That's good news. Once my warranty is expired I may try to find a wrecked 2017 dirt cheap and attempt a DIY battery swap. Not likely that I'd actually do it but I can fantasize can't I?
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

cutler03gt
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 pm
Location: Livonia, MI
Contact: Website

Re: can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC charge

Fri May 26, 2017 5:09 am

I recall sharing that the retail price for the HV battery set (includes upper and lower packs) was in the $8K range (maybe in another thread). Apparently it was an issue with purchasing, cataloging or someone... The catalog has recently been corrected to the appropriate price. $22K now :shock:

Wonder how long it's been at the wrong price and if any have even been sold at that price, that were out of warranty. Probably none, but who knows.
2017 Oxford White FFE
2017 Magnetic C-MAX Energi Titanium
2013 C-MAX Energi (lease returned 12/15)

triangles
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC charge

Fri May 26, 2017 6:42 am

Maybe 8k is fords cost for the battery? The retail cost doesn't really matter since no FFE battery will be out of warranty until at least 2020. They probably just slapped 22k on there so no one would try to buy one and I'd bet having a 22k retail price gives them a good tax write off when they have to replace one under warranty. The 33.5kWh battery would be nice to have but it wouldn't really give me that much more useability of the car to be worth much. It would have to be at least 40kWh+ useable to be worth an upgrade and it would probably be too expensive at that point.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

EVA
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:10 pm
Location: Chicago Area

Re: can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC charge

Fri May 26, 2017 8:39 am

cutler03gt wrote:I recall sharing that the retail price for the HV battery set (includes upper and lower packs) was in the $8K range (maybe in another thread). Apparently it was an issue with purchasing, cataloging or someone... The catalog has recently been corrected to the appropriate price. $22K now :shock:

Wonder how long it's been at the wrong price and if any have even been sold at that price, that were out of warranty. Probably none, but who knows.
Somebody may have purchased a battery - car accident and needed a replacement. That would not be a warranty repair. On the other hand, if the rear of the car were that damaged, the car is probably totaled anyway - so probably no purchase.

I checked AutoNation parts - they still list this battery (BATTERY - 2016 FORD FOCUS (CM5Z10B759K) at $7700 (list $8200). No description of battery size.

At that site it isn't possible to find parts for a 2017 Ford Focus. The front end car selector doesn't have a 2017 Focus as an option to even choose.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlak ... me=battery
2014 Platinum White FFE (Turning in mid Dec. 2016 25,000 miles)
2013 Ingot Silver FFE
2012 Titanium ICE Focus
2014 Tesla Model S 85

cutler03gt
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 pm
Location: Livonia, MI
Contact: Website

Re: can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC charge

Fri May 26, 2017 12:22 pm

EVA wrote:
cutler03gt wrote:I recall sharing that the retail price for the HV battery set (includes upper and lower packs) was in the $8K range (maybe in another thread). Apparently it was an issue with purchasing, cataloging or someone... The catalog has recently been corrected to the appropriate price. $22K now :shock:

Wonder how long it's been at the wrong price and if any have even been sold at that price, that were out of warranty. Probably none, but who knows.
Somebody may have purchased a battery - car accident and needed a replacement. That would not be a warranty repair. On the other hand, if the rear of the car were that damaged, the car is probably totaled anyway - so probably no purchase.

I checked AutoNation parts - they still list this battery (BATTERY - 2016 FORD FOCUS (CM5Z10B759K) at $7700 (list $8200). No description of battery size.

At that site it isn't possible to find parts for a 2017 Ford Focus. The front end car selector doesn't have a 2017 Focus as an option to even choose.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlak ... me=battery
I forgot to take note of the part# when I looked yesterday. I'll have to see what it is when I got back into work next week. I do remember verifying that the catalog listed the same part# for a 2016 and 2017 a couple months ago though, when I was confirming that the 33.5kWh pack was superseding the old 24kWh one.
2017 Oxford White FFE
2017 Magnetic C-MAX Energi Titanium
2013 C-MAX Energi (lease returned 12/15)

TareqAwad
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Re: can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC charge

Mon May 29, 2017 4:34 pm

EVA wrote:
cutler03gt wrote:I recall sharing that the retail price for the HV battery set (includes upper and lower packs) was in the $8K range (maybe in another thread). Apparently it was an issue with purchasing, cataloging or someone... The catalog has recently been corrected to the appropriate price. $22K now :shock:

Wonder how long it's been at the wrong price and if any have even been sold at that price, that were out of warranty. Probably none, but who knows.
Somebody may have purchased a battery - car accident and needed a replacement. That would not be a warranty repair. On the other hand, if the rear of the car were that damaged, the car is probably totaled anyway - so probably no purchase.

I checked AutoNation parts - they still list this battery (BATTERY - 2016 FORD FOCUS (CM5Z10B759K) at $7700 (list $8200). No description of battery size.

At that site it isn't possible to find parts for a 2017 Ford Focus. The front end car selector doesn't have a 2017 Focus as an option to even choose.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlak ... me=battery
https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuseact ... ic-BATTERY

Return to “Batteries and Charging Forum”