Krisverde
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:53 am

In Jan. the battery pooped out on my E Focus. Tested it and it was reading at 7 volts...figured it was 3 year old battery in AZ and it was time to go. Went and bought another one. Fast forward to a couple days ago...car sat for a couple of days not being plugged in to charge the HV Battery and the 12volt battery went flat. Tested it and it was at 7-8 volts. Jumped it and car turned on again. Took battery to get a full charge and it tested good. Battery was sitting at 12.6 volts. Turn car on or charge...voltage jumps to mid 14's.

Anyways, car sat overnight without being plugged in and in the AM I went and tested the battery again...sitting at 12.15 volts. Upon searching this seems to be a common issue on these cars??? It's like there is something that never turns off and puts a constant draw on the battery. I also did see a TSB 13-9-19 for the car which I don't believe has been performed yet. Only the recall for the HV wire was done.

I'd imagine the TSB being preformed would be free because the car is still under the powertrain warranty? My car is a 2013 with 38k on it.
2013 Focus ST RR

2013 Focus FFE OW

1989 Ford F150

NightHawk
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: Southern CA

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Yes try to get that TSB performed that should include a firmware update to fix the 12v battery issue.
I had 12v battery issues for the first few months I had my 2014 FFE, but after the update I've never had any more 12v battery problems - for almost 2 years since then!
Though I do have a 12v battery charger in my garage for emergencies, also a 12v lithum-ion starter unit in the car, and a 12v accessory port voltage display unit just to be safe!
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

Krisverde
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:19 am

NightHawk wrote:Yes try to get that TSB performed that should include a firmware update to fix the 12v battery issue.
I had 12v battery issues for the first few months I had my 2014 FFE, but after the update I've never had any more 12v battery problems - for almost 2 years since then!
Though I do have a 12v battery charger in my garage for emergencies, also a 12v lithum-ion starter unit in the car, and a 12v accessory port voltage display unit just to be safe!
I have an appointment for later today to drop the car off. The car gave me the "Stop safely now" warning today too. Luckily I was turning right when the green light went out. I just turned the car off and on a few times and it rebooted lol. I think ill start carrying a starter unit in my car from now on. I usually keep a cheap DMM with me to check voltage...but that accessory port one has to be nice so you can watch the voltage while driving.
2013 Focus ST RR

2013 Focus FFE OW

1989 Ford F150

triangles
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:36 am

If you got a SSN you have a problem other than your 12V battery. When the car is on, it is powering all the 12V systems thru the DC-DC converter which includes charging the 12V battery back up. Think of the DC-DC converter being the equivalent of an alternator on an ICE car. There could be a problem with the DC-DC converter cutting out but that is a bit above my head as I do not know if that would even trigger a SSN. However I do know that damaged HV cables or their connectors can trigger a SSN. Either way let us know what they find.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Krisverde
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:17 am

triangles wrote:If you got a SSN you have a problem other than your 12V battery. When the car is on, it is powering all the 12V systems thru the DC-DC converter which includes charging the 12V battery back up. Think of the DC-DC converter being the equivalent of an alternator on an ICE car. There could be a problem with the DC-DC converter cutting out but that is a bit above my head as I do not know if that would even trigger a SSN. However I do know that damaged HV cables or their connectors can trigger a SSN. Either way let us know what they find.
Ill keep you guys updated for sure. I know the TSB mentions some E Focus may experience the SSN as well as a low state of charge on the 12v battery. I am curious on what they find.
2013 Focus ST RR

2013 Focus FFE OW

1989 Ford F150

Krisverde
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:34 pm

SO...
I guess the pcm update was applied around the time the HV cable and the modem was replaced. It's going to be 100 bucks to diag the car but not sure im going to have them do that............
poop.
2013 Focus ST RR

2013 Focus FFE OW

1989 Ford F150

triangles
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:57 am

WTF is the dealer charging you for a warranty repair?
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Krisverde
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 am

triangles wrote:WTF is the dealer charging you for a warranty repair?
It wasn't going to cost anything because it was covered under the powertrain warranty. But since the pcm update was already there they didn't want to do anything else without me paying for a diag.
2013 Focus ST RR

2013 Focus FFE OW

1989 Ford F150

triangles
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:56 pm

I guess I still don't understand. If you have a powertrain (5year warranty) or EV component (8 year warranty) problem why do they want to charge you a diag fee? Either I'm missing something or that dealer is taking you for a ride...
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Omen87
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:31 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Krisverde wrote:
triangles wrote:WTF is the dealer charging you for a warranty repair?
It wasn't going to cost anything because it was covered under the powertrain warranty. But since the pcm update was already there they didn't want to do anything else without me paying for a diag.
I'd check out another dealer if you can or ask to speak to a different service advisor or the service manager.
2012 Oxford White Focus Electric

Return to “Batteries and Charging Forum”