HVB Charge Preperation

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awefulspeller

Does anyone know if the FFE preps the HVB to optimal charging conditions prior to charging the HVB? For example, if the HVB is -10 degrees, the charging system will warm the HVB to a more optimal chargin temp? Or once the charger is plugged in, it immediately starts applying juice to the HVB?

awefulspeller said:
Does anyone know if the FFE preps the HVB to optimal charging conditions prior to charging the HVB? For example, if the HVB is -10 degrees, the charging system will warm the HVB to a more optimal chargin temp? Or once the charger is plugged in, it immediately starts applying juice to the HVB?

I am not sure but I would assume charging the battery (L2) by itself will warm it up. I know it starts charging right away for sure. I am also not sure that leaving it plugged in triggers any ongoing warming up of battery (I have seen it cool though)
unless you pre-start the car.

We have not gotten below 5F so far so -10F might be a different animal.

My experience with value charge may add a datapoint:

When I would plug my car in at home with value charge set:
  • If it was >freezing or so it wouldn't charge at all until the value charge window
  • If it was <freezing it would "trickle charge" the HVB about 5% then wait until the value charge window
I figured the "trickle charge" was it just keeping the battery warm.

A couple weeks ago it was really cold here (-10f) and I heard a coolant pump running and the vehicle wasn't pre-heating the cabin It only ran for about 5 minutes then shut off.

Not sure the car has a problem with cold batteries. The current applied is low enough that I think the batteries can take charging with no problems. Of course the car heats up the battery while charging (uses the heat circuit - not just the inherent heat from charging).

Although, if you really want to be certain the car charges the fastest possible, start with a warm battery. Start charging right away after driving, don't wait a long time before starting. (charge at night when you get home as opposed to first thing in the morning after sitting all night long).

Sorry for bringing Tesla in - but this is a major problem for that car. If the battery gets cold soaked, and you try to supercharge it (apply 40 Kw) the car won't start charging for a very long time. Sometimes it won't even charge at all until you drive the car for a pretty long time.

The FFE has an advantage - half the battery pack is inside the car. Better insulated. So it won't get cold soaked quite as fast compared to the batteries all along the floor with only aluminum insulation.

Back