Focus Electric high voltage battery pack cost

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas FFE

I went down to the local dealer and asked how much it would cost to replace the 23 kWh high voltage battery pack in my 2013 FFE. The parts technician gave me the part number of CM5Z-10B759-K for the upper and lower batteries and quoted me the price of $8215. I also found this part number at http://parts.bartowford.com/oem-parts/ford-battery-cm5z10b759k for $7681. That's without labor and tax and equates to about $350 per kWh but that still a lot better that the $500 per kWh quotes we were getting just a few years ago.

Yes but it would be better if we can get a number on labor and other costs...I don't think its only a few hours of work.

Also I assume that that price requires to send the "core" back? it would be nice to keep these as home backups even at
half capacity.

Teslas have many "modules" (24V,250AH) on Ebay from parts cars at a price of 250/kwh.

fbitz777 said:
Yes but it would be better if we can get a number on labor and other costs...I don't think its only a few hours of work.

Also I assume that that price requires to send the "core" back? it would be nice to keep these as home backups even at
half capacity.

Teslas have many "modules" (24V,250AH) on Ebay from parts cars at a price of 250/kwh.

I've seen the instructions from Ford on how to replace the battery packs. The process looks pretty easy, just remove the old packs and install the new. One guy, maybe two with the right equipment could easily do it in a couple of hours.

Remember these are complete battery packs, not modules, and integral cooling system. There was no mention of the core at the Ford dealer or on the websites.

Based on the cost of the 23 kWh battery pack, the cost to replace a 33.5 kWh battery pack like the one in the 2017 FFE would be about $12,000. Let's hope the cost of batteries comes down even more before the 33.5 kWh battery packs become available.

The following link gives instructions for removing the high voltage FFE batteries, file:///C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/VD6GOUUJ/2014_Focus_EV-Battery_Removal_Guide.pdf. Installation of the high voltage batteries should be a reversal of the removal. You can get service manuals on the FFE that goes through detailed instructions on high voltage battery removal and installation.

Texas FFE said:
fbitz777 said:

half capacity.

Remember these are complete battery packs, not modules, and integral cooling system. There was no mention of the core at the Ford dealer or on the websites.

Not sure if the 2013 FFE has a liquid cooled battery management system and if that would matter with the late model FFE batteries.

awefulspeller said:
Not sure if the 2013 FFE has a liquid cooled battery management system and if that would matter with the late model FFE batteries.

I believe all FFEs have a liquid cooled battery management system, I know my 2013 does.

Yes the battery was around $14,000 back in 2014. The price did drop.

After reading that other thread about somebody's heater not working because the coolant wasn't properly bled - I wouldn't trust the battery replacement to anybody but a trained person. And I would pay whatever labor they wanted for the job.

Just had both my upper and lower battery units replaced under warranty with the 33.5 Kwh units. Along with the door latch and 110v charge cable recalls the bills was over $21,000 USD. Thank goodness I did not have to pay for that!

Phoenix

Back