2017 FFE charging question

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marv

Hey all,

Does anyone know if you can control the amount of charge on the 2017 FFE.

Say I want to only charge to 90% instead of 100%.

Thanks

Marv

Nope, can't do it. Short of stopping the charge. Or using a programmable EVSE.

I'm thinking you are worried about battery life, and want to charge to a lower state to keep the battery healthy. If that's the reason, don't waste your time. There is a buffer built into the battery (some debate on upper or lower end) that helps protect the battery. Just charge it up and drive the car.

EVA said:
Nope, can't do it. Short of stopping the charge. Or using a programmable EVSE.

I'm thinking you are worried about battery life, and want to charge to a lower state to keep the battery healthy. If that's the reason, don't waste your time. There is a buffer built into the battery (some debate on upper or lower end) that helps protect the battery. Just charge it up and drive the car.

I strongly disagree. One significant omission in the FFE is to stop the charging before reaching "full" (which is about 90% SOC).

If you don't need to charge to this level, you will preserve the battery by stopping at some appropriate lower level. You need to hack this by unplugging, using charge timers, programmable EVSE, or the like.

I can tell you as an absolute fact that the FFE battery does fade. Mine was down to 15.2 kWh when I returned it at lease end...3 years and 54K miles.

There is no debate as to where the battery buffer is...the usable range (100% to 0% on the dashboard display) is from approximately 90% to 8% actual SOC

Back