Crazy charging problem

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrieyhuang

I started to get wrench warning light about one week ago after charging. But it goes off after parking for a while, not charging. So I suspect it's over heating problem. But I started to notice strange range readings. For example, before charging 50 miles, after charging 30 miles. Dropped 20 miles after charging one hour to bring battery from 70% to 100% charged. Then, I drove 15 miles, parked 8 hr without changing. All of sudden, it says 97 miles and it won't even allow me to charge since it says it's fully charged. Drove a few miles. It can charge, but after charging one hour, it says only 25 miles. Remember just few miles ago, it read 97miles.
It seems the car no longer knows battery status, just gives random numbers.
Anyone has similar problem before?
2014 Ford Focus. $24000 miles.
Not using home charging station, but various public charging stations, different brands.

That sounds nuts. Short of disconnecting the 12v battery (or otherwise "power cycling" the vehicle) I'd hit up a dealership for their opinion.

I'd also certainly get photos or video of the behavior. If your dealership is anything like mine, they're clueless about everything, and would have to phone it into their corporate support line. If they can send video of a behavior, it'd surely help them with a diagnosis.

The same events happened to me recently. The orange wrench was my first clue that I needed a new 12V battery. I called a few auto part suppliers and found one with-in 15 miles. The battery tray comes apart like a puzzle pieces to allow you to remove the battery that is half hidden. If your car is a few years old, that is the likely culprit. I paid around $140 for my battery with giving them the core.

Thanks for info. Encouraging just 12V battery, not something more serious.

I feel like dealers really don't know about servicing electric cars. We need an issues/repair database to help them.

Good thinking on 12V one. I have frequently sit in the car, listening radio while charging. That can put stress on 12V battery.

I was able to charge last night normally without wrench warning light. The car was cold after parking 12hr. Then, drove 3 miles to charging station and charged successfully.
Seems cold car helps and don't power on anything while charging, not even 12V power.

Thank you.

Back