Value Charge not working/MFM problems

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeves002

Of course MFM has problems. We know that. I'll ignore that for now.

Basically my value charge doesn't work. At all. I tried to set it last night to charge my car starting at 9am (right before I leave for work - I only needed 15 minutes of charge to make it to work comfortably). I set that and it synced with MFM. however on MFM I can't even see what the value charge times are set at. I can toggle between charge now and value charge.

Anyways, with the car set to value charge it still says charge is beginning now (whatever time it was then) and says the estimated time of it being finished which was a few hours from that time. Any ideas why it won't work at all??? I plugged it in and it charged until I unplugged it 15 minutes later... Never clicked back off. Crappy software. Kind of bummed about this because I was hoping to use value charge to keep my battery SOC lower while still using the thermal management.

I had it into the dealer today for something unrelated and asked about it. He said he couldn't find any information on it but would dig into it and we'd figure something out next week when I bring it back.

The following is assuming 120v charging: There is logic in the Value Charge that wants it to be fully charged by the end of value charge. So if you tell it to charge between 9am and 10am when you have an almost empty battery, it will start charging immediately if it will take from plug in to 10am to charge. Some people buy chargers or install timers that turn off the EVSE at certain times. This goes against Ford's recommendations. You could change your value charge to 9am to 11pm and if your battery is charged enough it will wait till 9am. Of course you would be constantly having to change it based on the state of the battery.

Another logic that is designed to protect the battery charges it immediately when the battery is hot. It wants to cool off the battery using an external supply of power.

Of it could be MFM.

Well that makes sense. I'm charging L2 but I see what you're saying. If it can't get to 100% in the hour it just will start right away. Makes sense. I'll try adjusting and see what happens.

With my L2 30amp charger, I set my value charge time window for 4 or 5 hours (11PM -> 3AM) and that works fine for me. Doesn't start charging until the start time I setup (11PM) and usually stops an hour or so before the window ends.

NightHawk said:
With my L2 30amp charger, I set my value charge time window for 4 or 5 hours (11PM -> 3AM) and that works fine for me. Doesn't start charging until the start time I setup (11PM) and usually stops an hour or so before the window ends.

Yeah setting it for 4 hours worked. It will start charging here in a few minutes.

Back