Bosch Powermax failed after only 2 years

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piu_mosso

My 30a Bosch Powermax has failed after 2 years. I didn't use one of Bosch's installers so it's no longer under warranty (1 year warranty if using your own installer, 3 year if using over priced Bosch installer -- different length warranties depending on installer seems pretty lame to me). The part I'm particularly upset about is that Bosch "technical support" informed me that they don't repair these units. My only option is to purchase a new EVSE. The tech support guy I talked to was useless to the point of being almost rude.

For a few months, I've been getting a wrench icon in the FFE occasionally after charging, but the car charged and ran fine. The dealership told me the code that came up indicated it was a problem with my home charger. I figured they were probably full of it, but a few days ago, the charger stopped working. The green light on the powermax is on, showing no issues. When I plug in to the FFE, the blue lights around the charge port come on for a few seconds, then all lights shut off, and the car doesn't charge. The FFE charges fine on its 120v cord, and also at other 240v units that I've tried. Bosch tech support had me shut of the breaker for the powermax to reboot the unit. It didn't help, and that was their only suggestion. According to them, my Bosch has failed, and is not repairable. Seems pretty ridiculous that a $600 EVSE is a brick after only 2 years. Clipper Creek seems to have a good reputation on this forum for both reliability and customer support. I'm open to all suggestions regarding what to do with my failed Bosch unit as well as what to buy as a replacement. It is an outdoor install, so all weather housing is a necessity.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your charger. Not much you can do with it unless someone wants it on Craigslist.

I am a new FFE owner and looking to buy a charger soon. Based on reviews it looks like the Clipper charger is the most reliable out there. Here in Los Angeles the cost of the charger isn't a big deal but the electrician wants nearly $1000 to install it. Still looking for a better price.

TomEV said:
I am a new FFE owner and looking to buy a charger soon. Based on reviews it looks like the Clipper charger is the most reliable out there. Here in Los Angeles the cost of the charger isn't a big deal but the electrician wants nearly $1000 to install it. Still looking for a better price.
$1000 is a pretty painful number. Still worth it IMO given the convenience of home fueling + lower cost per mile driven for an EV. We're fortunate with our setup that the EVSE is directly on the other side of the wall from our box, so not much wire was needed for the original install, keeping cost down.
I'm probably going to get the Clipper Creek HCS-40 to replace the Bosch. Given that the wiring is already there, it should hopefully not cost too much to install in place of the Bosch.

Anyone want to buy a dead Bosch Power Max for parts? :)

TomEV said:
Sorry to hear about your charger. Not much you can do with it unless someone wants it on Craigslist.

Why do they want $1000? I'm fortunate to have a father in law that does drywall construction who has an electrician who works for him, he came over on a Saturday morning and we were done in about two hours. $65 in material and lunch from In-N-Out and I was all set up.

TomEV said:
Here in Los Angeles the cost of the charger isn't a big deal but the electrician wants nearly $1000 to install it. Still looking for a better price.
Run, do not walk, from this electrician. He's conning you.

piu_mosso said:
My 30a Bosch Powermax has failed after 2 years. I didn't use one of Bosch's installers so it's no longer under warranty (1 year warranty if using your own installer, 3 year if using over priced Bosch installer -- different length warranties depending on installer seems pretty lame to me). The part I'm particularly upset about is that Bosch "technical support" informed me that they don't repair these units. My only option is to purchase a new EVSE. The tech support guy I talked to was useless to the point of being almost rude.

For a few months, I've been getting a wrench icon in the FFE occasionally after charging, but the car charged and ran fine. The dealership told me the code that came up indicated it was a problem with my home charger. I figured they were probably full of it, but a few days ago, the charger stopped working. The green light on the powermax is on, showing no issues. When I plug in to the FFE, the blue lights around the charge port come on for a few seconds, then all lights shut off, and the car doesn't charge. The FFE charges fine on its 120v cord, and also at other 240v units that I've tried. Bosch tech support had me shut of the breaker for the powermax to reboot the unit. It didn't help, and that was their only suggestion. According to them, my Bosch has failed, and is not repairable. Seems pretty ridiculous that a $600 EVSE is a brick after only 2 years. Clipper Creek seems to have a good reputation on this forum for both reliability and customer support. I'm open to all suggestions regarding what to do with my failed Bosch unit as well as what to buy as a replacement. It is an outdoor install, so all weather housing is a necessity.

Thank you.

Did you buy it with a credit card? Most credit cards (these days) will double the warranty up to an additional year.

scottt said:
Did you buy it with a credit card? Most credit cards (these days) will double the warranty up to an additional year.
Unfortunately, the Bosch died 2 years + a few days after the original purchase. It's like it knew...

I stay away from buying anything Bosch or GE just based on failures through my experience

WattsUp said:
TomEV said:
Here in Los Angeles the cost of the charger isn't a big deal but the electrician wants nearly $1000 to install it. Still looking for a better price.
Run, do not walk, from this electrician. He's conning you.

The electrician has done other work for us and seems fair with the other jobs. I am getting a couple quotes done. Seems like every job in Los Angeles is expensive.

Have to put in a 50 AMP breaker, run the wire through the roof about 30 feet and install the NEMA plug and charger. I am thinking getting the clipper model based on reviews.

https://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-14-50-plug/

TomEV said:
The electrician has done other work for us and seems fair with the other jobs. I am getting a couple quotes done. Seems like every job in Los Angeles is expensive.
Then they're probably all gouging you... cuz they can.

It can't cost $1000 in either parts or labor to run some wires and screw something to the wall.

Maybe have them itemize the costs for you?

WattsUp said:
TomEV said:
Then they're probably all gouging you... cuz they can.

It can't cost $1000 in either parts or labor to run some wires and screw something to the wall.

Maybe have them itemize the costs for you?

I will get several quotes. So far the cost range I see on home advisor is $400-$1000.

Still getting some crazy quotes. One for $900 and the other for $800. For now I'm not getting the charger. I a co-worker of mine's husband does some odd job construction and says he can do it. I'll see what he wants for it.

TomEV said:
Still getting some crazy quotes. One for $900 and the other for $800.
Did you get any of these upstanding electricians to itemize the costs for you?

If so, what specifically do they claim is driving the cost? Are they asking for $300/hour labor, or claiming that they'll need $500 worth of home wiring parts to do the job?

I don't get where the costs are coming from, other than they think the market will bear such inflated costs "because this is an extra-specialized, high-tech, super-duper EV charging installation".

Would they also charge $1000 to wire up an 240V dryer in your garage?

Do it yourself. It isn't rocket science, it's household wiring.

If you are a "by the book" type, you can even get a building permit. Generally, homeowners are allowed to do the work themselves...for sure that's the rule in Los Angeles.

Everything you need is at Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, or your local hardware store.

The only reason this should cost a lot of money is if your current house electrical panel isn't capable of handling a new 40 Amp circuit. Otherwise, as other posters have said, this isn't a tough job. Certainly not worth paying upwards of $1,000 for it. Took me and an electrician friend of mine about 3 hours total, and that included two trips to Home Depot for stuff we had forgotten, and a break for lunch from In-n-Out.

Keith

campfamily said:
The only reason this should cost a lot of money is if your current house electrical panel isn't capable of handling a new 40 Amp circuit.
Yeah, that's why I'm suggesting TomEV get some sort of itemization of the costs. If the guy says a new $500 breaker box and rewiring everything coming in and out is needed, then at least the quote might start to make sense, or at least the premise of it. (Though I'd still be suspicious of that premise, unless the house is old or something.)

Here is the most 'itemized' breakdown I was given. Not much to go on.

Description Total

Electric Vehicle Charging Station $825.00

*Install Customer Furnished Car Charger

*Install 75' of Conduit & Wire in the Attic

*Install New 40amp Breaker

I am probably going to buy a Clippercreek unit. https://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-14-50-plug/

So beyond this, I have a coworker who's husband is willing to install it. He has some experience. I was thinking of paying him a few hundred to do it. He also suggested I get it permitted so that if anything happens later I am not held liable. Any thoughts?

TomEV said:

Description Total

What if you just tell the next electrician you simply want a 40-amp 240V socket installed in your garage?

Just tell them it's for a clothes dryer, or some power tools, that you will be getting later. I wonder what the estimate would be.

WattsUp said:
TomEV said:

Description Total

What if you just tell the next electrician you simply want a 40-amp 240V socket installed in your garage?

Just tell them it's for a clothes dryer, or some power tools, that you will be getting later. I wonder what the estimate would be.

Tell them it is for an air compressor.......

TomEV said:

Description Total

*Install 75' of Conduit & Wire in the Attic

*Install New 40amp Breaker

I am probably going to buy a Clippercreek unit. https://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-14-50-plug/

So beyond this, I have a coworker who's husband is willing to install it. He has some experience. I was thinking of paying him a few hundred to do it. He also suggested I get it permitted so that if anything happens later I am not held liable. Any thoughts?

Why do you need conduit in your attic? Any other wires in your house in conduit??

Back