Level 2 charging at 40 amps

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

Will 40 amp level 2 chargers become next standard in charging?
I would have to say yes, and here is the reasons why.
If you have a 23 kwh battery this will take 3.5 hours to do a full recharge.
When the 200 mile EVs hit the road late in 2016. These will have battery packs that will be about 3 times bigger than the packs used today (60 kwh). This will require a full charge time of about 10 hours. By increasing the charging currents from 30 amps to 40 amps will reduce max charge times to under 7 hours. If you have time of use billing, it will easier complete all of the charging at the reduced billing rate.
This could be one reason all Tesla's can charge at least 40 amps.

jeffand said:
Will 40 amp level 2 chargers become next standard in charging?
I would have to say yes, and here is the reasons why.
If you have a 23 kwh battery this will take 3.5 hours to do a full recharge.
When the 200 mile EVs hit the road late in 2016. These will have battery packs that will be about 3 times bigger than the packs used today (60 kwh). This will require a full charge time of about 10 hours. By increasing the charging currents from 30 amps to 40 amps will reduce max charge times to under 7 hours. If you have time of use billing, it will easier complete all of the charging at the reduced billing rate.
This could be one reason all Tesla's can charge at least 40 amps.
On the Chevy site, the Bolt is advertised as having a 9 hour full charge time and up to 25 miles per hour charging with the 'available' 240V charger. To keep the price down I imagine a lot of things will be optional, er, I mean available. Still, it will eviscerate a 100 mile FFE in most people's eyes.
http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

It looks like Bolts on board charger will charge at 32 amps.
Strange, on the web page they never mention CCS (level 3 charging). But in one of the pictures you can see the cover for the CCS port. I think that GM has explord having CCS for the Bolt. If they don't offer it I will buy some thing else, like a model 3. I think in in about year and a half from now, i will replace the FFE. It will be 5 years old at the point.

Bolt definitely supports CCS. Even today's Spark does. According to the reference below, it's an available option.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101774_gm-wont-fund-ccs-fast-charging-sites-for-2017-chevy-bolt-ev

Back