After car start, car does not move in Reverse or in Drive

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focussed

This happened to me yesterday and today.

Car was fully charged. I unplugged the car charger, got in the car and started it. The 'ready to drive' icon shows up. I put the car in reverse to back out and it does not move. I try drive and it does not move. Nothing happens. It rolled back a bit in the drive way as if it was in neutral.

I do this 3/4 times sitting in the car. No luck. I got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it and tried again. No luck.

After couple more attempts of getting out and in, it started moving in reverse. And I drove fine the rest of the day yesterday with 4 more starts.

Today morning as my wife was leaving after full charge, she had the same problem. After 4/5 attempts to move the car in reverse, it got going.

Has anyone experienced this? It is a 2014 model. I am concerned that we will get stranded somewhere because car won't move.

Thanks.

focussed said:
This happened to me yesterday and today.

Car was fully charged. I unplugged the car charger, got in the car and started it. The 'ready to drive' icon shows up. I put the car in reverse to back out and it does not move. I try drive and it does not move. Nothing happens. It rolled back a bit in the drive way as if it was in neutral.

I do this 3/4 times sitting in the car. No luck. I got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it and tried again. No luck.

After couple more attempts of getting out and in, it started moving in reverse. And I drove fine the rest of the day yesterday with 4 more starts.

Today morning as my wife was leaving after full charge, she had the same problem. After 4/5 attempts to move the car in reverse, it got going.

Has anyone experienced this? It is a 2014 model. I am concerned that we will get stranded somewhere because car won't move.

Thanks.
Strange to have this happen with the ready to drive light on. Plenty of ppl report similar issues, thus far it has always been because the car wasn't actually on...

focussed said:
Strange to have this happen with the ready to drive light on. Plenty of ppl report similar issues, thus far it has always been because the car wasn't actually on...

About 1/4rd of the time I have an issue with not having the car in drive mode when I push the button. It's really annoying.

And i have to really look hard for the green drive indicator. It's the same green as the other indicators and it'd hidden low behind the steering wheel.

In my case, I checked every time that the ready to drive was on. It is really strange and worrisome.

It was posted as a special service message on October 28, 2015. It's a bug. In the SSM, they say engineering is working on a fix. In the meantime, it suggests doing a restart to clear the problem. Turn off the car. Open the door (you can reclose it right away), and wait 20 seconds. At the end of the 20 seconds you should hear a contactor open. At the point that contactor opens all of the ECU's have shutoff. You can now restart the car and it should be done. I'm not sure if the most recent TCM/PCM update fixed this and they just didn't fill out an up to date service message, or they're still working on a fix. At any rate, I would make sure you get you software updated when you go to the dealer next.

sefs said:
It was posted as a special service message on October 28, 2015. It's a bug. In the SSM, they say engineering is working on a fix. In the meantime, it suggests doing a restart to clear the problem. Turn off the car. Open the door (you can reclose it right away), and wait 20 seconds. At the end of the 20 seconds you should hear a contactor open. At the point that contactor opens all of the ECU's have shutoff. You can now restart the car and it should be done. I'm not sure if the most recent TCM/PCM update fixed this and they just didn't fill out an up to date service message, or they're still working on a fix. At any rate, I would make sure you get you software updated when you go to the dealer next.

Thanks for the update sefs.

Is there a link to this service message? I can take that info to the dealer so they can find out if there is a fix available. The 20 second theory would explain why the problem got solved after several attempts. I just happened to give it sufficient time between restarts.

focussed said:
Is there a link to this service message? I can take that info to the dealer so they can find out if there is a fix available. The 20 second theory would explain why the problem got solved after several attempts. I just happened to give it sufficient time between restarts.
Not that I've seen. I previously had access to OASIS & posted TSBs & SSMs here, but that was prior to the 10/28/15 SSM that sefs mentions. If you can get the SSM # from sefs that should be plenty of info for the dealer to see if something new has been posted. I had previously asked if anyone on the forum would be interested in splitting the cost of a subscription & sharing the login credentials, but no one responded.

Just had my first experience with this yesterday. Took it to the dealer when I finally got it going. They just called and gave the SSM number which got me to this thread. Still no solution. But I can confirm that I did hear that click that sefs mentioned when I waited long enough before the car worked again. Glad to know there is a work around.

Anyone else experiencing this?

happened many times to me and I have a 9000 miles 2016 FFE so I am used to do the re-start procedure

Only annoying time was with valet parking when the car actually starting to roll back as if it was in neutral..

HannahWCU said:
Just had my first experience with this yesterday. Took it to the dealer when I finally got it going. They just called and gave the SSM number which got me to this thread. Still no solution. But I can confirm that I did hear that click that sefs mentioned when I waited long enough before the car worked again. Glad to know there is a work around.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Only happened to me once in 13 months.

Thanks for the great thread. I have a 2016 FFE with 5k miles. It happened a couple times the first month I owned it and the service dept. claimed to have never heard of my symptoms. The next 4 months it didn't happen at all and now suddenly its happening a couple times a week. Around the same time this started happening, I noticed another symptom which doesn't seem related to the issue in this thread but thought I'd throw it out there if anyone else has had this issue. While charging my FFE, the "radiator fan" started running.... My car was off, plugged in and my neighbor came over and said they heard my car running. Shocked, I checkout out my dash and the car was not ON but the "radiator fan" was running on high speed. I unplugged the car and the fan stopped. I was able to start the car, drove it around the block and plugged it back it. No more fan running? Coincidence, related or some other issue. Should I be worried about it?

Thanks

Back