Remote Start - Power Source

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottt

Staff member
Sorry if this has been answered before. I searched and didn't see anything.

If the car is plugged in, and set to value charge from 1am-5am, if you hit the remote start button at 6:30am, will the car "run" itself from the internal battery, or household power?

Reason I ask is that my Power Company's peak $$ time is 6am - 11am. I'd rather get my "nice warm car" from the 1-5am charge than the 6:30am peak charge.

Yes, I know I can run out, pull the plug, then remote start it.....kinda defeats the purpose though :)

Both: It will power itself from household power, but if you have the heater on and it requires more power than your EVSE can provide it will also drain the battery.

I think the answer to the OP's question is, yes, during remote start, the power will come (primarily) from the grid if the car is plugged in.

In other words, any "Value Charge" settings do not affect remote starting. Unfortunately, there is no "Value Remote Start" behavior.

NightHawk said:
Could you set a GO TIME for say 6am so it would heat the car up just prior to 6am at the lower electric rates?

I'll definitely be doing that during the "defrost" days of winter.

If I cut things off at 6, wonder how much heat will be left in the car by 6:30-6:45.

Make the go time 5:45 AM if you need it off by 6 AM. The car may not be that warm anymore, but the time does pre-heat the battery.

If your Value Charge profiles switches to $$$$ at 6:00 am, the car should stop preconditioning immediately at 6:00 am.

I haven't tried this in the Focus Electric, but our Fusion Energi will refuse to use wall power for remote start during the $$$$ times. We don't have TOU rates, but I use a Value Charge profile to avoid charging during times where the grid is heavily taxed & thus relying on carbon based electricity. Sometimes I've wanted the Fusion Energi to charge now for a few minutes, but I haven't wanted to go into MFM & switch it to charge now. In the Focus, remote starting the car with HVAC off seems to get the HVB to charge until remote start times out. The Fusion Energi will only do this during lower $ value charge windows, and will not charge during a remote start during $$$$ value charge windows.

hybridbear said:
If your Value Charge profiles switches to $$$$ at 6:00 am, the car should stop preconditioning immediately at 6:00 am.

I haven't tried this in the Focus Electric, but our Fusion Energi will refuse to use wall power for remote start during the $$$$ times. We don't have TOU rates, but I use a Value Charge profile to avoid charging during times where the grid is heavily taxed & thus relying on carbon based electricity. Sometimes I've wanted the Fusion Energi to charge now for a few minutes, but I haven't wanted to go into MFM & switch it to charge now. In the Focus, remote starting the car with HVAC off seems to get the HVB to charge until remote start times out. The Fusion Energi will only do this during lower $ value charge windows, and will not charge during a remote start during $$$$ value charge windows.

Value charge ends at 5am. There is a rate change from 5am - 6am, then peak period from 6am - 11am.

Back