PEP Charging station failure...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeves002

There are two of these commercial 2 car charging stations at my work. They were put in the dumbest spot and ICE cars park there all the time.. I've gotten most of them to stop parking there though. Its just me and a Volt that use the spots.

Anyways one of the chargers seems to go down for periods of time. It went down again on Friday. Black display, won't charge. These chargers are free BTW. Credit card slot but its not used.

So it came back up yesterday. It was a windows 7 computer display that responded to touch! It would move the mouse around. However windows explorer was frozen (like windows always is) and I couldn't open the start menu. The volt and ICE truck were in the other charger spots and there was no way for me to get to the charger :( had to L1 charge today...

The next morning I plugged into the other charger since the truck was not there. I noticed on the display a team viewer box was open with ID and password to login to the computer! I didn't login to it...thinking about it though... Was hilarious. Who uses windows for this? How dumb. I mean I've seen ATMs that use Windows and are on a normal windows screen. Moronic if you ask me!

Adding to this... I logged into the charger tonight with team viewer. After looking at my OBD data, I found it only charges at 22a. The breaker is 40a so it should charge at 30a. I found the settings sheet and adjusted it from 24a to 30a. Perfect! Charges faster now!

Easiest EVSE to hack :) Could do some real damage if you wanted to! Could just insert a virus into the system. Really bad setup IMO.

It's a Windows 7 PC with a newer Intel Atom dual core CPU and 2gb ram. 16gb SD card as the boot rom... Very poor choice in hardware. Linux makes much more sense. No idea if its even on a firewall.

Here was the settings:
[PEP Settings]
CardReaderType = Production
//Valid Options are Production or Development
MonitoringFileWriting = Enabled
//Valid Options are Enabled or Disabled
AccessCardVerificationMode = Local
//Valid Options are Local or Remote
//Local - Software will use the "Access Card Ranges.inf" file to determine valid cards
//Remote - Axeda will be used for card verification
KeyboardPopup = Disabled

[PEP Station Parms]
Software Version = "1.4.0"
MAC Address = "00-08-A2-07-E7-82"
Station Serial Number = "5800145"
Location ID = "1800145"
Customer Number = "A12345"
System Timing.Heartbeat Rate = "300.00000000"
System Timing.Max Charging Hours = "12.00000000"
System Timing.Calendar Update Rate = "1.00000000"
System Timing.Statistical Update Rate = "240.00000000"
Alarm Limits.IOB Temp Upper Limit = "70.00000000"
Alarm Limits.PWR Temp Upper Limit = "70.00000000"
Alarm Limits.+12V UL = "13.00000000"
Alarm Limits.+12V LL = "11.00000000"
Alarm Limits.-12V UL = "13.00000000"
Alarm Limits.-12V LL = "11.00000000"
Alarm Limits.5V PB UL = "5.60000000"
Alarm Limits.5V PB LL = "4.40000000"
Alarm Limits.5V IOB UL = "5.60000000"
Alarm Limits.5V IOB LL = "4.40000000"
Alarm Limits.AC #1 UL = "250.00000000"
Alarm Limits.AC #1 LL = "190.00000000"
Alarm Limits.AC #2 UL = "250.00000000"
Alarm Limits.AC #2 LL = "190.00000000"
Alarm Limits.Min Time to Alarm = "5.00000000"
Default Station Mode.Default Station Rate/Hr = "1.00000000"
Default Station Mode.Enable Calendar = "TRUE"
Default Station Mode.Require Odometer Prompt = "FALSE"
System Paths.Software Update Path = "/C/Pep Software Updates"
System Paths.Axeda File Exchange = "/C/Pep_Unprotected"
System Paths.Advertising Location = "/C/Pep Advertising"
System Timing.Max Axeda Reply Time = "5.00000000"
Screen Saver Settings.Screen Saver Active in = "0.00000000"
Default Station Mode.Default Station Mode = "Free"
Default Station Mode.Software Mode = "Normal"
Banking Info.Selected Gateway = "Verifone"
Banking Info.Skipjack Info.Serial Number = ""
Banking Info.Skipjack Info.Dev Serial Num = ""
Banking Info.Skipjack Info.Test URL = "https://developer.skipjackic.com/scripts/EvolvCC.dll?AuthorizeAPI"
Banking Info.Skipjack Info.Primary URL = "https://www.skipjackic.com/scripts/EvolvCC.dll?AuthorizeAPI"
Banking Info.Skipjack Info.Secondary URL = ""
Banking Info.VeriFone Info.Client ID = ""
Banking Info.VeriFone Info.User ID = ""
Banking Info.VeriFone Info.Password = ""
Banking Info.VeriFone Info.Merchant Key = ""
Banking Info.VeriFone Info.Test URL = "https://apidemo.ipcharge.net/ipchapi/rh.aspx"
Banking Info.VeriFone Info.Primary URL = "https://IPCharge.net/IPCHAPI/rh.aspx"
Banking Info.VeriFone Info.Secondary URL = "https://IPCharge2.net/IPCHAPI/rh.aspx"
Banking Info.VeriFone Info.Transaction Counter = "000"
System Paths.Logo File = ""
Default Station Mode.Default Station Rate/.5Hr = "0.00000000"
Modbus Server Parms.Port = "0"
Modbus Server Parms.Make Server Active = "FALSE"
MainScreen_CustomText.CreditCard Mode = ""
MainScreen_CustomText.Access Card Mode = ""
MainScreen_CustomText.Access&Credit Mode = ""
MainScreen_CustomText.Free Mode = ""
MainScreen_CustomText.Disabled Mode = ""
Allowed Credit Cards.Visa = "TRUE"
Allowed Credit Cards.Discover = "TRUE"
Allowed Credit Cards.MC = "TRUE"
Allowed Credit Cards.AMX = "FALSE"
Banking Info.Authorize.Net.Login ID = ""
Banking Info.Authorize.Net.Transaction Key = ""
Banking Info.Authorize.Net.Test URL = ""
Banking Info.Authorize.Net.Primary URL = ""
Default Station Mode.Station Charge Limit (Amps) = "24.00000000"
MainScreen_CustomText.Pin Mode = ""
Main Screen Disable? = "FALSE"

breeves002 said:
Adding to this... I logged into the charger tonight with team viewer. After looking at my OBD data, I found it only charges at 22a. The breaker is 40a so it should charge at 30a. I found the settings sheet and adjusted it from 24a to 30a. Perfect! Charges faster now!
40 amp breaker or not, it is possible the station installer configured it for 24 amps because the some aspect of the installation isn't rated for anything higher.

Just saying.

WattsUp said:
breeves002 said:
40 amp breaker or not, it is possible the station installer configured it for 24 amps because the some aspect of the installation isn't rated for anything higher.

Just saying.

You're absolutely right. Although I think the installer was an electrician that didn't know what he was doing to configure it. Default is 24a. It's on a 208v 3 phase power. Voltage drop at full charging ~28a according to the SOBDM is less then 20v. It gets down to about 195v. If it was lower then 195v I'd start to not like it. The limit is set to 190v so even on a bad day that should be enough of a buffer. I figure that drop is about right since the conduit is about 200' with 8AWG wire.

Back