Holding charge while "long term" parked

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjc

Humble apologies if this has been addressed to death elsewhere in this forum. I searched but didn't find anything.

I would like to park in an Atlanta outdoor parking lot for 12 days in September (for temperature reference). Will I be able to get home?

Assume 1/3 of the battery will be used getting there; leaving about 50 mile range (no charging while parked) and a 37 mile ride home. And... no I don't want to stop and charge on the way. ;-)

Thanks as always for the wisdom of your experience.

Jenny

I think the HV battery should be OK after 12 days, but the small 12v battery might drain.
Might be safe to have an emergency portable small 12v battery jumper device, I got one that uses a smaller LiOn rechargeable battery and keep it under the seat or in the glove compartment at all times.
A small solar 12v battery maintenance charger might be good to use too.

NightHawk said:
I think the HV battery should be OK after 12 days, but the small 12v battery might drain.
Might be safe to have an emergency portable small 12v battery jumper device, I got one that uses a smaller LiOn rechargeable battery and keep it under the seat or in the glove compartment at all times.
A small solar 12v battery maintenance charger might be good to use too.
None of these precautionary measures are a "bad idea" but, fwiw, I recently went on a two-week vacation and my FFE was fine when I returned. I've never had any trouble with the 12v battery in my FFE.

I concur with the others. When the car is parked, the high voltage battery is disconnected...there should be no perceptible self discharge in two weeks.

Like ANY car, the 12 V battery will go down with extended storage. However, in the case if the FFE, it only needs enough juice to power up the electronics, not enough to crank the engine.

I wouldn't worry. If the car can make the round trip without the the two week break, it should make it fine after your trip.

Please let us know...

Back