Battery Cooling

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesyen47

Hi guys
I will write article about focus electric vehicles battery thermal managment system. So I found in net quite a few inform about this car. Thats are;
Focus car has 23 kw battery pack and this battery pack cooling by liquid cooling system. Link is below
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6004-2012-Ford-Focus-%96-Available-As-Gasoline-Hybrid-Plug-In-Hybrid-Or-100-Electric-Car

So ı need to know more inform about cooling system like as whish coolant liquit is used in this sytem and flow mass rate etc.

Thanks...

Best Regards...

Before someone else wondered this topic
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1300

The Ford TMS is not as good as the one in Volt. As best I can see, the Ford system cools the battery down only to approximately 98 F, and heats it to some lower temperature that I don't know, maybe fiftyish? Between these limits, it appears to circulate coolant to maintain temperature consistency within the battery pack but does not control temperatures.
The above based on my observations.

According to reports on Volt, the TMS is much more aggressive, actually controls temperatures to a much narrower range, and cooler. This is much better for battery life but may impact the EPA ratings of the car (since energy is used during charging for TMS and because the battery is cooler).

I understand coolant replacement is required only at very high mileage, over 100,000 as I recall.

I believe I understand Ford's decision to use a weak TMS, but I sure wish Ford would have given us the ability to switch to an aggressive cooling mode when desired.

thanks lot for your replay.
@micheal ı dont care to focus btms effiency. I will not bur this car :) So ı will just invegation thermodinamic laws and COP rate. By the way thanks for your suggestion ı will compare this system to other btms your suggestion can be help me thanks lot.

@jmueller065 thanks lot.......... in the end ı found this file more importment for me thanks again...

I have a just one question else. The liquid coolant system used wihch liquid water or else? İs that direct contact with battery pack or indrect.

mesyen47 said:
I have a just one question else. The liquid coolant system used wihch liquid water or else? İs that direct contact with battery pack or indrect.
Buy access to Ford's system & you can find the answers to all your questions. The link was previously provided to you.

mesyen47 said:
The coolant is the same coolant used in the ICE focus. The coolant is cooled by the radiator, R134a AC system, or both.

aaronrodg said:
Can we use this to cool batteries other then cars? for example generators, do let me know.
I'm really not understanding your question. The coolant in the FFE is antifreeze - similar to ICE cars. It uses Ford orange antifreeze / coolant. So if you can use regular old coolant in your generator, well yeah you could use this.

Back