Spare battery pack

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awefulspeller

Has anyone thought about carrying around a spare battery pack that can be used to charge the FFE while parked? I've been looking at the Goal Zero battery packs, http://www.goalzero.com/p/140/goal-zero-yeti-1250-solar-generator

Does anyone know how much charge the FFE would get from the Goal Zero 1250? I've also been researching how to create my own battery pack made from lithium ion cells.

There are not many EV charge station in my area, I'm not allowed to plug in at work, and have been thinking of ways to 'extend' my FFE battery pack. Winter is coming, and will need the extra range.

Any comments are much appreciated!

Are you talking about keeping the 12V battery charged up or the High-Voltage-Battery (HVB)?

All you could use that Goal Zero for is keeping the 12V battery charged up. It would do nothing to add a charge to your HVB.

Think about it: Your HVB is 23 kWh, or 23,000 Wh and that Goal Zero is 1200 Wh...

jmueller065 said:
Are you talking about keeping the 12V battery charged up or the High-Voltage-Battery (HVB)?

All you could use that Goal Zero for is keeping the 12V battery charged up. It would do nothing to add a charge to your HVB.

Think about it: Your HVB is 23 kWh, or 23,000 Wh and that Goal Zero is 1200 Wh...

I am talking about the HVB.

Also, I figured as much with the 1200 Wh Goal Zero...but needed verification.

This isn't quite what you were asking about, and I don't think it's actually on the market yet, but these guys

http://www.star-engines.com/#home

are working on a portable generator, together with a gallon of gas, for emergency recharging. It looks like a jerry can, so they call it the jerr.e

I don't know how many kWh they get from the gas it holds, but I would guess it's good for several tens of miles, enough to get you out of a jam.

Back