2014 Ford Focus Electric DOA / Thinks It's on Charger

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SrSkizzle

So my 2014 FFE that is now 11 months old was DOA in my garage last Friday morning June 26 in Arizona. No dome lights; no nothing. It was half charged the night before and left on home charger all night. Car was towed into dealership and I was called on Monday that they were trouble shooting issue. They called Tuesday June 30 to inform me that they had replaced 12 Volt Battery and would call me the next morning if everything checked out. Wednesday July 30 I get call from dealership that the vehicle looks good and can be picked up. Half hour goes by and dealership calls back to say HOLD OFF - the car won't start and they are going to have to do more troubleshooting. They end up ordering a part called "Generic Module" near charging port and they say part will be in on Thursday. Part comes in on Thursday and they replace and tell me if all works I can come pickup vehicle on Friday July 3. I get call from Service Dept on July 3 and they say "Everything checks out you can come pickup car. Wife and I go to dealership to pickup car and we drive it away (and the dealer DID NOT fully charge car after being left an entire week - it was at half charge. Fast forward 4 hours and car won't start at home again as it keeps saying it is connected to battery charging unit when in fact it was just sitting there. Called dealership very frustrated and they are able to get it into override where I can take it back to dealership. I return it to dealership at 4pm and tell them "keep it I don't want it back again until fixed". Leave car with dealer for 2nd week and here I sit 8 days later with a non-working 2014 FFE that had been now at dealer going on its 2nd week over the July 4th Weekend! Not a Happy Camper right now!

SrSkizzle said:
So my 2014 FFE that is now 11 months old was DOA in my garage last Friday morning June 26 in Arizona. No dome lights; no nothing. It was half charged the night before and left on home charger all night. Car was towed into dealership and I was called on Monday that they were trouble shooting issue. They called Tuesday June 30 to inform me that they had replaced 12 Volt Battery and would call me the next morning if everything checked out. Wednesday July 30 I get call from dealership that the vehicle looks good and can be picked up. Half hour goes by and dealership calls back to say HOLD OFF - the car won't start and they are going to have to do more troubleshooting. They end up ordering a part called "Generic Module" near charging port and they say part will be in on Thursday. Part comes in on Thursday and they replace and tell me if all works I can come pickup vehicle on Friday July 3. I get call from Service Dept on July 3 and they say "Everything checks out you can come pickup car. Wife and I go to dealership to pickup car and we drive it away (and the dealer DID NOT fully charge car after being left an entire week - it was at half charge. Fast forward 4 hours and car won't start at home again as it keeps saying it is connected to battery charging unit when in fact it was just sitting there. Called dealership very frustrated and they are able to get it into override where I can take it back to dealership. I return it to dealership at 4pm and tell them "keep it I don't want it back again until fixed". Leave car with dealer for 2nd week and here I sit 8 days later with a non-working 2014 FFE that had been now at dealer going on its 2nd week over the July 4th Weekend! Not a Happy Camper right now!
Generic Function Module is the name of the module that controls the charging port & the charging port light ring. Charging activity is controlled by the SOBDMA (Secondary OBD Control Module A). The TCU (Telematics Control Unit) communicates the car's status to the MFM app. How did you override the car to get it to drive to the dealer?

I was able to override once the pop up message on the left dash screen gave me an option of "Yes" or "No" to the question "Is the vehicle plugged in to charger?" (Not sure if that was the exact wording, but the plug was showing on the same screen which indicates the vehicle thinks it is plugged into a charger when in fact it wasn't.

SrSkizzle said:
I was able to override once the pop up message on the left dash screen gave me an option of "Yes" or "No" to the question "Is the vehicle plugged in to charger?" (Not sure if that was the exact wording, but the plug was showing on the same screen which indicates the vehicle thinks it is plugged into a charger when in fact it wasn't.
That explains why the GFM was replaced. Hopefully the next step will be to replace the SOBDMA and that will solve it.

So today is August 11, 2015 and my Ford Focus Electric has been at the Ford Dealership for the better part of 6 weeks now as they continue to try and get Ford Engineers to troubleshoot why my car keeps getting messages that it "thinks" it is still on the charger when it's not. I have returned my 2014 FFE to the dealership for the 4th time and now they are thinking it must be my charger causing the fault. I actually use 2 different BLINK charges when charging my electric cars and I really think they are grasping for something to blame the fault messages on. I got off the phone with the dealerships Service Advisor Manager (who BTW has been very accommodating to me over the past month and a half) and she asked that I call the Ford Customer Service line at (800) 392-FORD to log yet another complaint. It is clear to me that Ford Motor Co. still refuses to get fully engaged in this issue. I am probably going to initiate the Arizona Lemon Law now that they've had 4 attempts and 6 weeks to try and resolve and ask they buy back my vehicle per the Arizona Revised Statute: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/44/01263.htm&Title=44&DocType=ARS

If it makes you feel better my 2014 FFE with 11months has been at the shop for 75 days already and they have barely started
working on it this week....something about parts (engine fell off) being back ordered

At least Ford Customer service calls me every Wednesday to apologize. And they finally got me a rental after day 50 or so.

On top of that I kept getting message from car about going into sleep mode and alerted the dealer about keeping it charged which they refused to do.

Lemon Law in PA is in my favor but it is a long battle.

Understanding the J1772 connector.
Measure the DC voltage from pin 5 to the common pin. Pin 5 is the proximity connection. This is one of the small pins on the cars charging port. The common pin is the large bottom pin. You should meassure about 4.5 volts between the two pins. When the car is plugged in the voltage will be about 3 volts.

Back