Leasing

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5k3pt1c

Anyone know if Ford will be selling the battery with the Focus electric or leasing it separately like the Nissan Leaf? I think I'd prefer to buy my own battery as the lease cost is high (more than $100/month), but that would be with swap stations. Are these swap stations mentioned in:
http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1052797_is-there-a-business-case-for-electric-car-battery-lease-or-swap
going to work for all EVs with lease options? Or is this just for cars that are sold through Better Place...not really sure I understand the proposed system of swap stations.

Hi.

The LEAF does not have a program for battery leasing. I believe that the Renault sister platform will in Europe.

I would be very surprised if Ford has an option for leasing the battery. In fact, I think i am fairly safe in saying that this option will not be offered.

BetterPlace seems to be quite secretive about when/where/how they are going to do this... Any press coverage out there just talks about the idea, not about how or even if they are still going to do it.

I think there are some major hurdles they need to overcome first:
- electric vehicles need to have an easily accessable/replaceable battery pack
- people have spent good money on their car (and battery pack since there aren't leasing options on the Nissan Leaf and none mentioned for the Ford Focus Electric). Are they going to want to swap out their (warrantied?) battery pack for some used one at a robotic station along the interstate?

I definitely wouldn't pay to lease the battery - I know that there's know way to know if the Ford Focus Electric battery will be any good in 5 years, but in 5 years there will be such better technology anyway. To pay more over 5 years I guess would help someone spread the cost of the EV purchase over the 5 years but that seems to be the only advantage to me.

Back