Battery Technology

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamer

Ford's website says battery technology is improving everyday.

While that may be true, I think that's a little bit over the top. The real question is how fast are those new technologies going to be available in the Ford Focus Electric?

Perhaps that's why Ford is avoiding any specific details about the Focus Electric car? Maybe they have a super duper battery that they are holding under wraps until the very last minute :p

Forgot to post this from the Ford website too:
As more and more resources are being devoted to making batteries better, electricity is becoming a much more viable source of power for transportation. And that points to a future where we can be less dependent on fossil fuels.

dreamer said:
Forgot to post this from the Ford website too:
As more and more resources are being devoted to making batteries better, electricity is becoming a much more viable source of power for transportation. And that points to a future where we can be less dependent on fossil fuels.

It's all so wonderful, but if they could spend a few minutes down in the nitty gritty telling us about things like schedule, price.....

That's very true - I wouldn't care if the Ford Focus Electric can charge in 1 hour and go 500 miles if it costs a million dollars :lol:

Although, the Ford website says the Focus Electric will charge in 3 to 4 hours, or with the 120 volt convenience cable it can charge overnight in your garage.

For the current generation there is only a limited number of Lithium-ion batteries to choose from
LiCoO2
LiMn2O4
LiNiO2
LiFePO4
Li2FePO4F
LiCo1/3Ni1/3Mn1/3O2
Li(LiaNixMnyCoz)O2

IIRC the Leaf uses LiFePO4 and I wouldn't be too suprised if Ford went the same route

As for capacity: 23 mwhr
http://www.ford.com/technology/electric/howevswork/

It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up with the Leaf. The Leaf has a 24 mwhr battery and 80 kw/110hp motor. The Focus - I think I read somewhere but I do no have a link - has ~100 wk motor and 23 mwhr battery.

Either way since Nissan has continued to screw those who reserved the vehicle last April for $100 I'm asking for my money back and going with the Focus.

Once Li-Air comes to fruition or someone finally makes a solid-state battery (i.e. EEStor - not holding my breath) that can be mass produced then we'll have the battery breakthrough that'll change everything

EDIT: Fixed the Focus's motor's power. Thanks california/klaus

Motor Trend says the Ford Focus Electric is getting its motivation from a 100 kilwatt electric motor that produces 123 horsepower and 181 pound-feet of torque.

It's more like 100 Kw electric motor on the Ford Focus EV if I remember...

Does that mean if the battery pack holds 24mwhr vs the Leaf's 23 mwhr but the electric motor is 100Kw instead of 80Kw that the range would be less?
Or does a 100Kw motor just have more power if you need it, so if you drive your Focus EV like an old lady then you'll only consume as much power as if you drove the Leaf like an old lady/man?

Doh looks like I got confused with the hp/kw.... what i get for not finding the link :oops:

I will echo klaus's question about how it might effect distance. My guess is if you floor it you'll get more torque/faster 0-60 than the Leaf but you'll burn charge faster than flooring the leaf would.

If you are being conservative with power it'll give you more control and maybe a smoother ride?
Focus you have control from anywhere from 0-100 kw
Leaf you only have 0-80 kw

I'll add this here as well:

I wonder if Ford had to decrease the battery by 1 kwh to support the added size of the liquid heater/cooler. I remember reading Nissan left the water cooler/heater out of the Leaf because it would take up too much space in the cabin.

I have tried to keep up to date on battery technology. It is clear that advances continue at a fairly rapid pace. Translating these advances to car battery use, however, is another matter. I visited the Tesla plant back when I had a deposit on a Tesla and talked with one of their battery engineers. It became obvious that multiple steps are required to change battery systems. A few steps are commitment to the new technology, design issues and then of course new production. All this retooling demands cost outlays a company may be reluctant to take a gamble on. Think of the solar panel companies like Solyndra that took chances on their design and technology and got caught financially. I believe the engineer at Tesla told me to not expect changes in batteries any more rapidly than every 3-5 years by an auto company.
If you're wondering, I withdrew my Tesla deposit and bought a Ford Focus Electric 2012. I couldn't justify the cost of the Tesla, although it is a great car. I love my FFE, just wish I had that 200-300 mile Tesla range.

Back