More observations on value charging + go times

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

(Hopefully we've turned the weather corner! LOL--going to be 40 here today..woooo!)

Over the past few months I've noticed a few things the car does in cold weather: (During all of this time the car has been set to value charge from 1am - 8am all 7 days of the week--all 7 due to MFT sometimes thinking that its tomorrow instead of today)
  • When colder than freezing or so (depending on if the car is in a garage or not--seems like there is some formula to determine this) the car will trickle charge a little bit (almost like a Level 1 rate) to keep itself warm. Sometimes it will trickle charge up a few percent and stop, and sometimes it will just trickle charge until full.
    You can tell if it will trickle charge or not by looking at the displayed charge times when you first plug it in: If the start charge time is your set value charge time then it will wait, if the start charge time is the time you plugged it in it will trickle charge.
    For the past couple of months I've had to be somewhere with my son on Thursdays. So I setup a 2nd go time to get the car ready to go. Every Thursday during this time with the go time set the car would charge at the full Level 2 rate until the go time (even though value charge was set to not charge at that time). The other days of the week would behave as above with the trickle charge.
    Sometimes the GPS will be off (as mentioned by WattsUp) and when I switch it to/from Value Charge I'll be switching the wrong location (only to notice later that the default profile is set to Value Charge, and Home 2 is set to Charge Now)--make sure what profile is showing before switching Charge Now/Value Charge in the car.

Back