What is your max Level 2 charging power, 5.9 or 6.6?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocus Focus

I have yet to see 6.6kW charging on any Level 2, even when charging from empty on my 2012. This isn't a limitation of the station because I have seen Tesla's pulling more than 7kW from the same station and new Leaf's pulling 6.3kW.

The best I've seen is just shy of 6kW. Is anybody getting more than 6kW? That's more than 10% off of the stated charging spec. What gives? Is there anything I can do to tweak that?

I use ChargePoint the most. It always gives me hundredths (5.78kW). Anybody else??? Please post! I want some data for comparison when I bring it in to the dealer to see if they can find the mission 11% charging capacity I'm missing out on.

Hocus Focus said:
I use ChargePoint the most. It always gives me hundredths (5.78kW). Anybody else??? Please post! I want some data for comparison when I bring it in to the dealer to see if they can find the mission 11% charging capacity I'm missing out on.
Yes, I see this from time to time. But, a charging rate of 5780 watts is fairly normal for 208V installations, as many public and commercial installations are (parking garages, etc.).

There is likely nothing wrong with your car. It is simply charging at the maximum rate possible with that station.

WattsUp is right. On a 208VAC circuit you won't likely get 7kW charging (that would be >33A). The EVSE actually tells the FFE how much current it is allowed to draw. So if it is installed on a 30A circuit, it will limit to something slightly less than that.

5.78kW/208VAC = 27.8A which seems about right.

You will notice a difference from charge station to charge station. A 240V 30A charger will give you your top charging rate.

There are many charging stations that seem to throttle their chargers. Blink seems to be known for this. You could go to one charging station and it take around 4 hours to charge. Take it to another Blink station and it'll take over 8 hours to charge.

The Blink charger near me must be 3.5 or 4 kW. I had my FFE plugged in for an hour and it only gave me 10 miles of charge. Had been averaging 63 miles on a full "tank" in this cold weather. I just installed a Siemens Versa-charge that can charge up to 7.2 kW and it's charging the car in the 3-3.5 hours as advertised.

Back