Best EV Charger for my workplace

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoking_Rubber

My company just relocated 40 miles south (of where it used to be). Thankfully I live between the locations but my 10 mile commute just jumped to 30 each way. My current DD is a 2013 FJ Cruiser which gets a measly 16-17 mpg. My FJ will be paid off in less than 3 months so I am looking into a new commuter. After doing some research I really think it's going to be a 2017 or 2018 FFE. WoooHooo! (Who's as stoked about that as I am?) (When is the 2018 coming out? Ugh)

I've floated the prospect of installing EV chargers out in the parking lot and my boss is open to the idea. It's a new building which we own, and he still hasn't done the parking lot lights. So there is definitely some underground electrical already planned and this is a great time to kill two birds.

I've contacted ChargePoint and a sales guy is going to come out and make his pitch Thursday. Would it be better to just install fleet chargers? How could we keep the public out of my EV spot if it's a free port? Are there better suppliers than ChargePoint? Now that I've got the ball rolling there are a few other employees here interested in an EV if the boss throws up some plugs. I want to give my boss as much information as he needs to make a great investment.

For reference, my company is located in Santa Maria California.

Given your commute, the fact that you're looking at a new 2018 FFE, and you're in sunny CA you don't really need workplace charging at all (the only real reason you'd need it is to so that the car can engage the active cooling while plugged in on those hot days).

If you do go with Chargepoint your office can partner with them so that only authorized people from your office can use the charger (there are some here in MI like that).

For workplace charging consider that:

1) ~90% of commutes are <35 miles one way (of course it might be different for your company's employees)
2) cars will likely be parked at workplace ~7-8h

This means that for most:
- typical level 2 charging will replenish expended range to work in <1.5 h
- level 1 charging will do the same in ~8h or less

L1 charge points will be substantially cheaper to install than L2. A mix of mostly L1 with some L2 seems like a reasonable compromise if it's expected that there will be a significant number of employees charging at work. Access control could be as simple as putting a padlock on an outlet cover or a J1772 handle and giving keys to authorized users.

https://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publication/WPCC_L1ChargingAtTheWorkplace_0716.pdf

http://www.calstart.org/Libraries/Publications/Best_Practices_for_Workplace_Charging.sflb.ashx

There was a very long discussion about this on the Tesla forum. Somebody wanted to install 100 chargers at his workplace, for general EV charging, not just Tesla's. What to install is about the same question you have.

Sorry the discussion is long, as they usually are over there. Hopefully you can find some nuggets in there that will help you. Sadly there is no way to contact any of the posters directly.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-install-100-chargers-work
That thread should be visible to the public without logging into the site.

Just like what amped stated: Level 1 only requires a standard 120V outlet, as you will be using you own charge cord. Really inexpensive for your employer, just an outdoor outlet, which may already exist.

Pearl said:
Just like what amped stated: Level 1 only requires a standard 120V outlet, as you will be using you own charge cord. Really inexpensive for your employer, just an outdoor outlet, which may already exist.

That's interesting. Do you think a 110 outlet would provide enough juice to cover 50-60 miles in 7-8 hours. I could top off at home as well, but if I can get my boss to provide 100% of my commuting gas bill that would be ideal. I'd prefer a Level 2 plug but costs can get out of control.

Is Chargepoint the only Point-of-Sale type plug available? A plug with a padlock isn't a bad idea. I'll read through the Tesla thread for so wisdom. 100 plugs is way out of the question, but I hope my boss will install 4-6.

Also interested in the whole lease/buy debate. I'm reading all those threads.

Realistically, when could I expect a 2018 FFE to arrive? I'd like to order it during Labor Day. Hopefully there are some good sales on ordered vehicles not just on-the-lot cars. Will it even be available to order then u think? When do new Focus's usually hit the US showrooms? I'm almost ashamed to admit that new green color is growing on me. I'd really like to see it in person before I ordered one but I don't think that will happen.

Lots of questions I have! Thanks for the shared wisdom.

Smoking_Rubber said:
That's interesting. Do you think a 110 outlet would provide enough juice to cover 50-60 miles in 7-8 hours. I could top off at home as well, but if I can get my boss to provide 100% of my commuting gas bill that would be ideal. I'd prefer a Level 2 plug but costs can get out of control.

As you've stated, your one way commute is only 30 miles, so you would really only need to replenish 30 miles of range every day. Plugging in to 120V will net you about 32 miles in 8 hours, so that would be perfect. A Level 2 EVSE at work is really overkill, since you already have the benefit of time, being parked all day while you work.
Your boss may be more receptive to "paying your fuel bill" if he's only giving you a frw pennies per hour for charging, instead of the huge expense of installing a 240V EVSE.

The 2018 FFE with its EPA rated 115 mile range is certainly more than enough for a daily drive of 60+ miles.
If you charge at home, either 120V or 240V and leave every morning with a full charge, you will still have plenty of battery when you embark on the drive back home.

Pearl said:
Smoking_Rubber said:

As you've stated, your one way commute is only 30 miles, so you would really only need to replenish 30 miles of range every day. Plugging in to 120V will net you about 32 miles in 8 hours, so that would be perfect. A Level 2 EVSE at work is really overkill, since you already have the benefit of time, being parked all day while you work.
Your boss may be more receptive to "paying your fuel bill" if he's only giving you a frw pennies per hour for charging, instead of the huge expense of installing a 240V EVSE.

The 2018 FFE with its EPA rated 115 mile range is certainly more than enough for a daily drive of 60+ miles.
If you charge at home, either 120V or 240V and leave every morning with a full charge, you will still have plenty of battery when you embark on the drive back home.

Well IDEALLY, I could just charge at work and get enough juice to get home and back. I'd prefer to not have to dig out the charger every single time I get out of the car. Maybe just charging at work gets me most of the way with a 10 mile deficit each day ... then I would only have to top off by charging at home once a week. This is still in flux. I'm going to push for Level 2 charging at work. I think I could get by with just a Level 1 plug, but maybe there are rebates we can take advantage of for installing a Level 2 charger here in Santa Barbara County. http://www.ourair.org/ev-charging-program/

I'm still hopeful the 2018 FFE has more than 115 mile range. It really wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if it didn't though.

Anyone else interested in the new Green color?

Another type of EVSE to consider, is a Dual Voltage EVSE, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Voltage-Portable-Smart-Charger/dp/B00GGQUCM8

It can be used at either a 120V outlet OR a 240V outlet. With this, you could ask your employer to merely install a 240V NEMA 6-20 in addition to (or instead of) a 120V outlet (NEMA 5-15). Installing outlets is rather cheap in comparison to having them take the full burden of an EVSE (even with rebates, it will be costly compared to wiring only).
The Dual Voltage EVSE can be used at home, or at work, and has the benefit of charging at a rate nearly 4 times that of a standard Level 1 EVSE, though not as fast as 6.6kwh. You would still charge more than you need in a single day parked at work.

Pearl said:
Another type of EVSE to consider, is a Dual Voltage EVSE, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Voltage-Portable-Smart-Charger/dp/B00GGQUCM8

It can be used at either a 120V outlet OR a 240V outlet. With this, you could ask your employer to merely install a 240V NEMA 6-20 in addition to (or instead of) a 120V outlet (NEMA 5-15). Installing outlets is rather cheap in comparison to having them take the full burden of an EVSE (even with rebates, it will be costly compared to wiring only).
The Dual Voltage EVSE can be used at home, or at work, and has the benefit of charging at a rate nearly 4 times that of a standard Level 1 EVSE, though not as fast as 6.6kwh. You would still charge more than you need in a single day parked at work.

That's a great option. Cheaper than a full Level 2 setup but basically the same charging level I think. If my boss opts to install just plugs I'll definitely get a couple of these plugs wired in as well.

Smoking_Rubber said:
That's a great option. Cheaper than a full Level 2 setup but basically the same charging level I think. If my boss opts to install just plugs I'll definitely get a couple of these plugs wired in as well.

Not at the same rate, unfortunately, but certainly good enough if you are parked all day.

A 30A Level 2 EVSE will charge your Focus Electric at 6.6kW
A 15A Level 1 EVSE will charge your Focus Electric at 1.4kW

This Dual Voltage EVSE is limited to 16A, so:
at 240V it will charge your Focus Electric at 3.8kW.

Smoking_Rubber said:
I'm still hopeful the 2018 FFE has more than 115 mile range. It really wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if it didn't though.
That all depends on your commute: go 70+ mph up and down hills in 0 degree weather and you'll get a lot less, go 25 mph on cruise control for the whole way in 80 degree weather and you'll get 200+ miles in range.

jmueller065 said:
Smoking_Rubber said:
That all depends on your commute: go 70+ mph up and down hills in 0 degree weather and you'll get a lot less, go 25 mph on cruise control for the whole way in 80 degree weather and you'll get 200+ miles in range.

My commute is essentially flat. Maybe a couple dips and mounds over the distance but nothing I'm concerned about. I live in Pismo Beach California, and I work in Santa Maria. It NEVER snows, and it rarely even rains. It will get a little hot inland (near 100) in the summer but my home stays very constant because I'm near the ocean. 90% of my commute will be zipping along Hwy101 at 75 mph, unless I take Hwy1 through Guadalupe where it will still be 60mph most of the way.

I'm excited about the Lvl2 plug. That's an option I had not considered so joining this forum has already helped.

There might also be incentives to install the Level 2 charger, NOT electrical outlets. You might check into that. If you could get a 50% rebate on installing a few level 2 stations, that might cut the costs enough to get what you need.

Yeah - the 100 - meant for you to ignore that number. Installing 4 or 100, not a lot of difference if somebody is footing the bill. They're still going to be about the same cost.

Installing a 120V outlet on a light pole is basically free. That is your easiest path. It is the least convenient of the methods. And buys you the least.

Whether or not your employer opts for plugs or EVSEs They make timers that could be used on these circuits so that the circuit is only on during business hours. That could be another way to control access.

triangles said:
Whether or not your employer opts for plugs or EVSEs They make timers that could be used on these circuits so that the circuit is only on during business hours. That could be another way to control access.

My employer installed three such outlets on the back of the building. Currently there is only one other plug in vehicle besides mine, very thankful my employer is forward thinking.

This is the timer, that is inside the building. When I get inside I turn it on. That way it's only energized when it is used.

7662-7025.ashx

Back