TopCat

What are you using for a charging station?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:37 pm

I wanted to see what everyone is using and what the feedback is on the various stations. The Leaf has had some issues, and I wanted to see if some appear to be better fits. The Leaviton is not readily availble everywhere...so, what do you have and how do you like it?

ecofarmer

Re: What are you using for a charging station?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Actually, the Leviton charger is available for FFE customers according to https://www.plugintoford.com/. I found the site useful for detailing how to get the charger - you or dealer call Best Buy Geek Squad at 1-888-219-6747 to set up a site survey. Also, the charger comes with a 10-year limited warranty and dedicated support, which are key features for me.

felkster

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 pm

I had an electrician install a 220v outlet in my garage, then I bought a GE Wattstation at Lowes and plugged it in.

I love the Wattstation's design. The charger is a bit loud when charging starts (a loud whack noise when the relay activates), but other than that it looks nice, is super quiet, and took about 5 minutes to install.

Trielectric

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:57 am

I purchased the Leviton 7.7KW EVB32-5ML charger supply switch online. Works great.

Charged Up

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:15 am

I ordered the Schneider from Home Depot. Used the Discover Card shopping link to get 10% off. Which puts the price at $720 after the 10%.

Schneider is a 7.2kw supply which is sufficient for the FFE's 6.6 kw charger.

Leviton unit looks nice but I don't see paying more than double for the same charging capability.

Schneider unit is made by Square D, and I've had no problems with their products.

You can easily make the Schneider a plug-in if you so desire. Buy a cord and a plug and diy or pay the electrician to install the plug on a cord for you.

Most people are finding that if they pay the electrician to install a suitable receptacle, the cost is much lower than if they pay to have the charger installed.

http://store.leviton.com/Evr-Green-Char ... B007Q0YYV8

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electric-v ... 48150.html
Last edited by Charged Up on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redEV

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 am

TopCat wrote: ... The Leaf has had some issues ...
To clarify, the main EVSE unit that gave the LEAF problems was the GE Wattstation; Nissan and GE are working on the issue and GE says it was the on board charger on the LEAF that has a problem (remember, even with the FFE the 'charger' is in the car, the EVSE unit just makes the power available for the EV) but interestingly enough, no other EVSE's seem to have an issue with the LEAF that haven't been attributed to other problems with line loads, etc. The GE Wattstation is a great looking unit but was significantly more expensive than the Schneider at the time I bought mine as well as too large to fit where I needed it mounted so went with the Schneider w/o any issues. Having a 10 year warranty would be a nice option for the one offered through Best Buy and Ford although the only part that may fail in that length of time could be the 'nozzle' (the J1772 connector) as its the only 'moving' part as well as expensive to replace. I wonder what the 'take' rate is for the unit offered through Ford versus another?

Evocus

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 am

I'm using the Schneider EVSE unit and it works very well except for some strangeness when I use Value Charging. Can't tell if it's a Ford issue or a compatibility issue with the Schneider.

When I'm setup to Value Charge beginning at midnight and simply plug in the EVSE, what I see happening is this:

1. Plug in. Charger begins delivering current (according to the blinking LED on EVSE).
2. FFE starts to charge or use current for something (according to the charge port blinking LED).
3. FFE decides to stop charging and all LEDs go off. I assume it's waiting till charge time. EVSE stops delivering current after some timeout period.
5. Faults may or may not be reported by the FFE throughout the waiting period till midnight, after which the car charges normally. It's not clear why the FFE says there's a fault, because it's not supposed to be charging until midnight.
4. MFM (myfordmobile) properly reports that the unit is at Home, Plugged In, and Waiting till midnight. Note that just scanning the car with MFM will cause the relays to click and the charge cycle described above to initiate again. Another minor bug is that MFM does not properly log that the charge was "Value Charge".

I'm concerned about all the starts and stops, so my workaround is to tell the EVSE to wait until after midnight to supply power using it's delay feature. The FFE is statisfied with this and reports it's waiting till midnight as before. The only message I get now is right after midnight when charging hasn't yet begun (becuase I only can delay in hour increments, charging will start sometime in the midnight to 1AM timeframe). This works much better.

Perhaps Ford has an issue here they need to fix.
2012 Ford Focus Electric White Platinum Tricoat Metallic (4 July 2012)
Schneider EV2430WS Level 2 EVSE

whitgallman

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:59 pm

See the post "I installed my own charging station last week"

ALSO
http://insideevs.com/early-ford-focus-e ... loving-it/

Don A

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Eaton per signature installed outside.
Don
2012 FFE Oxford White, Cloth (Nov 1, 2012)
Eaton 240VAC EV Charging Station Level 2 30A 7.2kW

obwoodie

Sun May 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I bought a Leviton EVB40-5PT in-line from Home Depot for $1099 and free shipping. It is a 40 amp,9.6 KW, 240 volt charging station with 25 foot charging cord. Although the Focus EV charges at 6.7KW, I bought "up" in case I need it for the future. This was the cheapest charger I found that charged fast and was available immediately.

I love driving my Focus EV. I was initially hesitant to buy a car with limited range but have learned where all the charging stations are located and have never had an emergency. All you need is a very little planning for driving. If I have lots of charge with few places I need to to go, I hot rod the car.

Return to “Engineering Forum”