Focus Electric Component View

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rwbill,

Thanks for posting that Ford focus electric pamphlet. One fact on it I found interesting was this one:

"Estimated cost to fully charge vehicle:
$2 to $3 (based on nationwide average cost of $0.10 per kWh)"

I looked it up and the nation average is more around $.11 - $.12 cents. Its been over $.11 cents since 2008:

http://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/monthly/pdf/sec9_14.pdf

Not a big deal, I just found it odd that Ford would be off a few cents on pretty easy data to look up and verify. I heard energy costs per kWh can reach as high as $.50 cents + in places like Hawaii. I will be checking how much mine is costing me on my next bill and report back. I conclude by asking the ford focus electric forum members what electricity rates are you being charged currently and in which state?

For most of the city of Seattle, the first 10kWh of each day are $0.047/kWh, then each additional kWh beyond 10 are $0.0987/kWh. No peak/off-peak billing hours.

In the winter, the first 16kWh of each day are billed at the lower rate before it switches to the higher rate. So the 10 cents/kWh works out about right for us.

I signed up for ComEd's realtime pricing program, so I agree to some automatic energy reducing steps... ie, may cut ac off and on, in summer afternoon.

At night it is usually 2 to 4 cents per kwh. Daytime, hot afternoon, weekday could be twice that or more. Today, high was 87, prices ranged from 2.5 cents (3 am) to 5.2 cents (4 pm).

Duke power in NC has a flat rate of .105 in the summer to .095 in winter- I am considering a Time of Use Rate of .24 peak (1-6 p.m. M-F) & .068 the rest of time.

One nice aspect is that there is no charge to swap between plans even though the meter is changed each time. Or so I have been told...

We have "Time-of-Use" and Net Meter Energy rates (or words very close to that) through MCE, for our solar PV array, here in California, near San Francisco.
We have an old rate "schedule" which is closed to new customers, but think that mainly changes the time limits for on-peak / off-peak.
Rates vary enormously with season and time of day.
Winter was about 6 cents off-peak, 25 cents on peak.
Now on summer rates, about same off peak, 41 cents on peak.
With lots of hours of sun now, am "selling" (cutting my overall bill -- we cannot make money on this) during peak hours, charging car off-peak, naturally.

I'm also in the time-of-use and net-metering bucket. Cost to charge my car at midnight is just under $0.10. With the PV array, depending on the "level", I can be credited up to $0.50 kwh (level 2 summer rate) when the array generates more than the household consumes and then use that credit to charge the car at a much lower rate at midnight.

I'm also on Time of Day usage: $0.14 during the day and $0.035/kWh overnight. My last electricity bill for the car was $29 for the month (total) which at 29 days billed makes it come out to $1/day to run my FFE.

Also note that this is an old topic with a jump from 2012 to 2014 there in the middle.

jmueller065 said:
I'm also on Time of Day usage: $0.14 during the day and $0.035/kWh overnight.
Wow. The rates you guys pay during the day is about what I pay at night in Southern California. $0.47 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Then, $0.32 from 6 p.m. to midnight and again from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Only from midnight to 6 a.m. is the rate at $0.10 for super off peak.

unplugged said:
jmueller065 said:
Wow. The rates you guys pay during the day is about what I pay at night in Southern California. $0.47 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Then, $0.32 from 6 p.m. to midnight and again from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Only from midnight to 6 a.m. is the rate at $0.10 for super off peak.
And this is why anyone in CA that has an EV that doesn't have a PV Array is wasting money.

twscrap said:
unplugged said:
jmueller065 said:
And this is why anyone in CA that has an EV that doesn't have a PV Array is wasting money.

....if you can use PV, maybe. Many people don't have sufficient solar exposure....or don't own a home...or...

I have a house, and enough exposure / roof space for ~4.5kW system, but the costs right now don't work out (the I'm not willing to fork out the 25K to install them right now, and the PPA is a 20yr lease).

Back