test0s

HVAC - lower the power drain or disable the heater ?

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:24 am

First of all i just like to say hi to all from a new user, from Norway.
I've had my electric focus for almost 2 years now and i'm fairly happy with it. Have to say that the european focus manufactured in Germany lacks a lot of vital options that you guys have in the US - such as go times or being able to preheat the car via mfm, touch screen (heck there is no mfm in europe whatsoever). This winter is one of the coldest i have experienced in the last 8 years here and without the possibility to preheat the car you can guess that my range takes a very big hit. It's currently -26C (-14,8F) and the heater stays at 5+ KW a very long time even tho i set the temp at 18C / 64F.
Anyway back to the topic. While searching for options to improve the power drain of the heater i've came across some 1st gen (2011-2012) nissan leaf users that have succesfully modified the power drain with some fairly easy modding. Seen that they mention that the 2011 leaf has the same type of resistive heater as the focus has.

Here is the topic : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=11412#

They actually have 3 methods of resolving the issue tho i think nr 2 and 3 are best.
I know they are very different cars but maybe we can get method nr 2 to work on our cars?

There is also this thread where some users sell an upgraded Leaf climate control module. Think its just a regular module that they modify like in the other post. Anyway they mention :

With our upgrade, You will now NEVER have heater operation, regardless of set temperature / car temperature, unless at least one of these conditions is true:

1. A/C button is illuminated.
2. Rear Defroster is on.
3. Climate Control timer engages.

I found that controlling the heater with the A/C button is the best and most intuitive. Also, anytime the system is in Auto, the A/C button is illuminated, so this new method is actually more flexible. You can now run any aspect of the system under manual control, and still choose to have heat (or not). You can also have front defrost with no heat or A/C, or just Heat. You also now don't need to run the rear defroster in most "manual" conditions where you still want heat, as during testing we discovered it's on a timer and doesn't stay on.

Here is the 2nd thread :

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=6751

breeves002
Site Moderator

Re: HVAC - lower the power drain or disable the heater ?

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:09 am

You can use FORScan control on the computer to disable the heater. I generally just turn down the temp until it stop showing usage on the heater. You could install a switch but it would be a pain.

FORScan can also put the state of the heater at whatever % output you want. Since its resistive heater is a PTC heater, it won't be able to burn anything up. If you put the coolant pumps all at 0 and close all diverter valves, the coolant temp will not pass a certain temperature even if you tell the heater to output max. The resistance will increase and flow of electricity will slow down.
2014 FFE Tuxedo Black - Leather - EV ST
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Performance Package - 401A - 2018 Digital Cluster

test0s

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Interesting. So i can program the heater to work at 50% with forscan? This would be great if it was possible. I will get a OBDLink MX adapter and test this.

rsanders4

Fri May 06, 2016 2:51 pm

I wonder what else FORScan is able to modify. Really wish I could turn off "creep" mode, and change the throttle response a bit.

Wasn't happy about getting my doors blown off by a Leaf, of all things.

WattsUp

Fri May 06, 2016 5:21 pm

rsanders4 wrote:Wasn't happy about getting my doors blown off by a Leaf, of all things.
FFE 0-60 is about 10 seconds.

But, I thought Leaf 0-60 was only about 9 seconds. So, better, but doesn't seem exactly "door blowing" compared to the FFE.

Maybe you were asleep. ;)
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

rsanders4

Sat May 07, 2016 7:49 pm

It was a shockingly quick off the line - I used to race 1/4 mile, so my rt isn't bad.

Not quite Tesla like, but enough to make me a little upset that a bland econobox like the LEAF left my Focus in the dust.

Still doesn't change the fact I'd love to tinker with the throttle response.
I've tried running with traction control off, and that doesn't seem to change a damn thing. :(

Then again, from everything I've learned about the Focus EV, Ford really went out of their way to not tax anything too hard (battery, motor, etc.)

WattsUp

Sat May 07, 2016 9:00 pm

rsanders4 wrote:Still doesn't change the fact I'd love to tinker with the throttle response.
I've tried running with traction control off, and that doesn't seem to change a damn thing. :(
The only thing I can suggest trying is "priming" the accelerator while in neutral (N), then simply "flipping" into drive (D) when you want to "go". This way, power is applied in a more "switch-like" manner.

Some people say this technique makes no difference, but it "feels" slightly quicker to me. (But, I have not made any kind of measurement.)

Anyway, after you come to a stop (say at a red light) the procedure is as follows:
  • While holding the B pedal as normal, shift to N.
  • Switch to holding the B pedal with your LEFT foot (assuming you're normally a single-footed, right-footed driver).
  • Fully depress ("floor") the A pedal with your RIGHT foot.
  • When you want to "go", simultaneously release the B pedal and shift to D (while continuing to depress the A pedal of course).
Depending on the terrain (e.g., whether or not you might roll away) you may be able to release the B pedal somewhat before the last step (e.g., when you predict the light will soon be turning green) and take-off using "nothin' but shifter".
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

hybridbear

Wed May 11, 2016 6:39 am

WattsUp wrote:
rsanders4 wrote:Wasn't happy about getting my doors blown off by a Leaf, of all things.
FFE 0-60 is about 10 seconds.

But, I thought Leaf 0-60 was only about 9 seconds. So, better, but doesn't seem exactly "door blowing" compared to the FFE.
That would surprise me considering that the Focus has more available power than the Leaf...
rsanders4 wrote:It was a shockingly quick off the line - I used to race 1/4 mile, so my rt isn't bad.

Not quite Tesla like, but enough to make me a little upset that a bland econobox like the LEAF left my Focus in the dust.

Still doesn't change the fact I'd love to tinker with the throttle response.
I've tried running with traction control off, and that doesn't seem to change a thing. :(

Then again, from everything I've learned about the Focus EV, Ford really went out of their way to not tax anything too hard (battery, motor, etc.)
My experience with the Focus is that if you're stopped and you floor it the acceleration isn't that great. If you get a rolling start & floor it then it takes off a lot faster. I should do some test runs & monitor HVB amps/volts via FORScan to see if there is a difference in total kW output by the HVB in those scenarios. The challenge is finding a road where I could do runs from 0-60 without risking a speeding ticket or causing issues for other motorists... I live too close to the center of the city so country roads are all far away.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

rsanders4

Wed May 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Yes, I agree. Roll about 50 feet with gentle pressure, then floor it, necksnap. ;-)

WattsUp

Wed May 18, 2016 7:51 pm

rsanders4 wrote:Yes, I agree. Roll about 50 feet with gentle pressure, then floor it, necksnap. ;-)
Yup, between 20 and 50 mph, the FFE is a rocket. 8-)

Return to “Engineering Forum”