External Speaker - generated low speed noise

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosebank

The little bit of reading I have done says the FFE has an external speaker but it is not used. Some time ago FFE Facebook page apparently had 4 sound that folks could vote on in case legislation required it in future. I have 2012 FFE and have not located the external speaker if one exists.

Has anyone looked at how you could use this speaker? I assume Ford engineers would have looked at a 60 second sound loop driven from a chip somewhere. It would be a fun thing to play around with if you could play a MP3 file from an I pod for instance.

2012 FFE Frosted Glass

Pop open the hood, look around--that would be the most logical place for an external speaker.

From what I remember Ford did have four youtube videos of different sounds (they were all horrible) but never did do anything to implement a sound. Frankly I don't think an external speaker exists on the FFE (even though it is a low-volume car they still would have the whole reduce cost mindset that causes them to eliminate $0.01 resistors let alone an external speaker that costs tens of dollars or more). I can see there being terminals for it, but it not being present.

Here is the youtube playlist for the four different sounds (like I said I don't like any of them LOL):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOEuCJfsS8k&list=PLC69F3185A5298250

I'd go for something like 3 or 4, a futuristic "Jetsons" sound. But I'd turn it off most all the time. Also, tie it to the accelerator to change the pitch as if to "rev" the engine.

I would turn any of those off at the soonest possibility. One of the major things I LOVE about the FFE is that it's silent. A few weeks ago, my brother was standing in a parking lot talking with a group of people. I was able to slide up right behind him and bump his legs. His expression when he turned and saw a car was HILARIOUS. Half of the group could see me of course, so I'd motioned to them to stay quiet. It was SO cool!

Back