Focus Electric Motor Insulated with Foam?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

I saw a comment on a Green Car Reports article about the Leaf commenting about how the Focus Electric motor doesn't make as much noise as the Leaf motor because Ford wrapped it in foam. I tried searching for more information about this but didn't find anything. Is this comment accurate? How is the Focus Electric motor wrapped? How much noise does the Focus Electric motor make when accelerating or decelerating? We hear a whirring noise in our Fusion Hybrid from the traction motor when braking, I'm curious if the Focus Electric is similar.

You can hear the FFE's motor. It isn't really "Wrapped in foam": that isn't a very accurate description. There is a block of foam that at the top of the motor. I'm sure its there to quiet the operation down but it is probably also there just to make the engine compartment look a little better. It isn't very "pretty" when looking under the foam! LOL

jmueller065 said:
You can hear the FFE's motor. It isn't really "Wrapped in foam": that isn't a very accurate description. There is a block of foam that at the top of the motor. I'm sure its there to quiet the operation down but it is probably also there just to make the engine compartment look a little better. It isn't very "pretty" when looking under the foam! LOL
Is the FFE significantly quieter than the Leaf though? That's what the poster was claiming in his online comment.

hybridbear said:
Is the FFE significantly quieter than the LEAF though? That's what the poster was claiming in his online comment.
I can't answer that: I see plenty of Leafs on the road but have never rid in one.

We do have a new member here who has both (Leaf & FFE) and they recently posted a very long comparison between the two. Perhaps they can provide some insight. Here is a link to that description:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1344&start=10#p10862

jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:
Is the FFE significantly quieter than the LEAF though? That's what the poster was claiming in his online comment.
I can't answer that: I see plenty of Leafs on the road but have never rid in one.

We do have a new member here who has both (Leaf & FFE) and they recently posted a very long comparison between the two. Perhaps they can provide some insight. Here is a link to that description:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1344&start=10#p10862
Thanks Jamie. I have read his posts.

In our circumstance the Leaf and the Focus motors seems to make an equal amount of noise. (not much noise at all) You just don't notice it until you get into a regular ICE vehicle. The only exception being some sort of fan that continues to run, for a few minutes sometimes, after you park the Focus. I'm not sure what it is, but you can hear it when you are outside of the car, but not while you are in the car.

After you have been driving the EV for a while and then get back in an ICE vehicle, the ICE vehicle seems very noisy. This past December, it drove my 13 year old crazy on a long road trip to Florida when we drove the Dodge Grand Caravan. It was the first time she had been in an ICE vehicle in about 6 months.

I don't know anything about the foam, so I can't comment on it.

Joe

You can see the foam in this pic I took yesterday:
noveluse.jpg

The top of the battery box is sitting on the foam--yes that black "cover" like thing is the foam. I didn't realize it was foam when we first got the car until I touched it.

I took the pic for other reasons than showing the foam but it works:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1999

As far as I know LEAFs are noisier on the outside. I've read that they have a noise generator when driving under X mph. Never ridden inside of one so I'm not sure about the cabin noise.

I can hear LEAFs when I'm walking close to a street even when I'm not paying attention.

Interesting. Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that the motor cover is the foam that he's talking about. I'm used to those being plastic on most cars. Very neat.

I wish there were a Focus Electric at a local dealer that I could drive to be able to answer my questions in person...

Back