Intelligent access keys & leaving your key in the vehicle

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

Is there a way to lock the IA key in the Focus Electric intentionally since you can then unlock the car with the MFM app to get to your key? Or does the car recognize that a key is inside and refuse to lock the doors no matter how hard you try to intentionally lock the key inside?

Ya no prob. You open the back door, lock the car with the remote,put it on the floor, close the door. I used my other remote (that was in the house) to unlock. Not sure about the app, but i'm sure it would work

gman1 said:
Not sure about the app, but i'm sure it would work
That app does work to unlock the car. And, while the app's "unlock" command might save you in an emergency, I personally wouldn't purposely rely on the app to get you back in your car.

Remember that the app does not communicate directly with the car. The app commands first travel over the internet (via your phone's internet connection), are processed by the MyFord Mobile servers, and are then sent to the car (via the car's wireless data connection). If any of the links in that chain are not working when you need to get back in your car, then you could be suck out of it for a while.

For example, what if your phone doesn't currently have a signal and/or internet service? Or, what if your phone's battery simply died? What if your car is out of cell range (on whatever wireless network Ford uses in your area)? What if the MFM servers are down for maintenance?

WattsUp said:
gman1 said:
Not sure about the app, but i'm sure it would work
That app does work to unlock the car. And, while the app's "unlock" command might save you in an emergency, I personally wouldn't purposely rely on the app to get you back in your car.

Remember that the app does not communicate directly with the car. The app commands first travel over the internet (via your phone's internet connection), are processed by the MyFord Mobile servers, and are then sent to the car (via the car's wireless data connection). If any of the links in that chain are not working when you need to get back in your car, then you could be suck out of it for a while.

For example, what if your phone doesn't currently have a signal and/or internet service? Or, what if your phone's battery simply died? What if your car is out of cell range (on whatever wireless network Ford uses in your area)? What if the MFM servers are down for maintenance?
I realize those concerns and wouldn't do something like this often. But when I go play sports I don't like to leave my keys lying on the side of the field or in one of my shoes and would rather lock the key in the car. I'd only do it in an area with good cell service. Since I have AT&T I can tell by my cell signal how strong the signal is that the car would receive. And I'd only do it close to home where there's a suitable backup plan should something go awry.

WattsUp said:
What if the MFM servers are down for maintenance?
Like they were Friday afternoon around 5pm Eastern for about 15-20 minutes.

Another option would be to install a keyless entry keypad on your driver's door:
http://accessories.ford.com/keyless-entry-keypad.html
It has its own battery and gets "trained" to the car just like another keyfob. You then can leave the keys in the car and just remember the code. My parents do this with all their cars (which are all Fords): Lock the keys in the car and use the keypad to gain entry.
Well that sucks: just noticed the footnote:
Focus: Not for use with BEV
Sigh the FFE seems to be the runt of the Ford litter.

jmueller065 said:
WattsUp said:
What if the MFM servers are down for maintenance?
Like they were Friday afternoon around 5pm Eastern for about 15-20 minutes.

Another option would be to install a keyless entry keypad on your driver's door:
http://accessories.ford.com/keyless-entry-keypad.html
It has its own battery and gets "trained" to the car just like another keyfob. You then can leave the keys in the car and just remember the code. My parents do this with all their cars (which are all Fords): Lock the keys in the car and use the keypad to gain entry.
Well that sucks: just noticed the footnote:
Focus: Not for use with BEV
Sigh the FFE seems to be the runt of the Ford litter.
Using the keypad is what we do now with out Fusion Hybrid. I wish it was an option on the Focus Electric. It works great for this purpose.

hybridbear said:
I realize those concerns and wouldn't do something like this often. But when I go play sports I don't like to leave my keys lying on the side of the field or in one of my shoes and would rather lock the key in the car. I'd only do it in an area with good cell service. Since I have AT&T I can tell by my cell signal how strong the signal is that the car would receive. And I'd only do it close to home where there's a suitable backup plan should something go awry.
Yep, good ideas.

Btw, the comments weren't aimed directly at you, but at everyone reading the forum. It may not be obvious to everyone how the app works (including when it might not work).

WattsUp said:
hybridbear said:
Yep, good ideas.

Btw, the comments weren't aimed directly at you, but at everyone reading the forum. It may not be obvious to everyone how the app works (including when it might not work).
Thanks WattsUp. I understood that, but I also wanted to respond with the precautions I would take to try to mitigate any risk of being locked out of the car.

Another IA question. On the Fusion Energi & C-Max Energi it works on all four doors plus the trunk/hatch. Is that also true on the Focus Electric?

You can also lock the doors with the manual key, leaving the actual remote in the vehicle. I keep the key in my surf leash, then use it to unlock the driver door. Counter-clockwise locks all doors, and clockwise unlocks driver door.

hybridbear said:
Are all four door handles plus the hatch equipped to work with the IA key?
In our 2013: Yes--touching any of the four door handles causes the vehicle to unlock in most cases LOL. Sometimes the proximity doesn't work and I either grab a different handle (like the back door handle) or have to begrudgingly get the keyfob out of my pocket. There is a 10 second lockout that if someone without the keyfob touches a door handle then you can't unlock the car for 10 seconds no matter how often you grab the handle (in this case the keyfob does work) (even after a year my family forgets this and frequently grabs a door handle before me forcing me to use the fob).

The rear hatch just opens: When the vehicle is locked and you have the fob in your pocket pressing the button opens the hatch--but does NOT unlock all the doors.

jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:
In our 2013: Yes--touching any of the four door handles causes the vehicle to unlock in most cases LOL. Sometimes the proximity doesn't work and I either grab a different handle (like the back door handle) or have to begrudgingly get the keyfob out of my pocket. There is a 10 second lockout that if someone without the keyfob touches a door handle then you can't unlock the car for 10 seconds no matter how often you grab the handle (in this case the keyfob does work) (even after a year my family forgets this and frequently grabs a door handle before me forcing me to use the fob).

The rear hatch just opens: When the vehicle is locked and you have the fob in your pocket pressing the button opens the hatch--but does NOT unlock all the doors.
Interesting about the lockout. I'm glad that Ford didn't go cheap with the proximity sensors only on some doors. On the Prius it only works with the front doors & hatch. And the driver's door only unlocks the driver's door, not all of them. That is really annoying and there's no way to adjust it. Often we're going to the back seat first to set stuff down. It would be really nice to be able to just open that door first without issue.

jmueller065 said:
Yes--touching any of the four door handles causes the vehicle to unlock in most cases LOL. Sometimes the proximity doesn't work and I either grab a different handle (like the back door handle) or have to begrudgingly get the keyfob out of my pocket.
Haha... yup, happens (all too often) to me too. Except I usually stand there, "grabbing" my door handle over and over, each time getting more "deliberate" about it, until it finally works. (Or, I go for the fob.) I'm sure it looks like I have some kind of compulsive disorder about entering my car. :)

I would think that leaving the key in the car for any reason is an open invitation for the car to disappear.
And less work for the thief too. :)

Zurc.

My wife usually leaves her key in her purse and doesn't take it out. The Prius would not allow us to lock her key inside the car if she was leaving her purse in the car. It would make a loud screeching noise. The Focus will allow her key to be locked in the car. It's interesting to know the differences in the systems & how they work.

jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:
In our 2013: Yes--touching any of the four door handles causes the vehicle to unlock in most cases LOL.

Uhh... I only have proximity unlock on the two front doors and the rear hatch.

scoops said:
jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:
In our 2013: Yes--touching any of the four door handles causes the vehicle to unlock in most cases LOL.

Uhh... I only have proximity unlock on the two front doors and the rear hatch.
What year is your FFE? Ours is a 2013 and it works on all 4 doors plus the hatch.

hybridbear said:
What year is your FFE? Ours is a 2013 and it works on all 4 doors plus the hatch.
Yup, mine too.

However, to be sure, sometimes the proximity unlock feature on the doors is a bit finicky (you grab a handle and nothing happens, then you have to grab it again... and again... and ag-- ah! it finally realized I'm there).

The hatch is not finicky (because that's an actual rubber switch you have to press).

jmueller065 said:
I love that feature. When you close the hatch, the car is locked up again. It even flashes the blinkers once to signify that (just like when you press lock on the remote).

All doors respond to the key fob on my 2012. However, only the front 2 doors have the black patch allowing the door to be locked when touched.

Back