Towing the Ford Focus Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evluv

Anybody on this Ford Focus Electric Forum know if the Focus EV can be towed? It would be very 'RV' friendly as most if not all RV parks have 50 amp circuits.

You could definitely tow the Ford EV on a trailer - but I'm sure you knew that already :D And it will likely be a little heavy for this, compared of course to a Honda Civic or other car that is typically towed behind an RV.

You could probably get away with a dolly that raises the front wheels off of the ground and just drags the tail of the Focus. Assuming the Ford Focus Electric is similar to the Nissan Leaf though, you'd still have the 4 wheel parking brake to worry about. It's a brake that applies to all 4 wheels, so you'd have to have the transmission in neutral, and there's some debate in the Leaf forums about whether or not you'd actually have to have the car 'on' in order to release the parking brake. And if you can work around any parking brake feature, you still have plastic low hanging body panels to worry about. Most low modern cars can't be towed the traditional way because of the low hanging plastic body parts.

Even if Ford says a 4 wheel flat tow was safe on the Focus EV (which I guess is highly unlikely as the Honda Insight, Toyota Prius, Chevy Volt etc all highly recommend against flat towing), you still have to worry about the gearbox getting the proper lube, and I assume just to be safe Ford will say no.

evluv said:
Anybody on this Ford Focus Electric Forum know if the Focus EV can be towed? It would be very 'RV' friendly as most if not all RV parks have 50 amp circuits.

It cannot be flat towed, the front, or all four, tires must be off the ground.

seems like owners manual says you can use a tow dolly but a full trailer is preffered. Mine is going home from Long Island, NY to Charlotte, NC on a U-Haul Auto Transport. Long Highway run. 650 miles.

Back