jmueller065

Re: Suggestion for Ford regarding charging door

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:31 am

11 months here with 3 or 4 of them during the coldest, nastiest midwest winter we've seen in a long time with the car left outside for most of it.

When it gets cold the "springs" in the charge port door don't open it fully (or fast) and you have to assist it--carefully. A few times the port was covered in ice due to overnight storms enough that I couldn't even close the door (in some of the instances I simply broke the ice off the connector until the door would close).

So far I have discovered that I did not close the door less than 10 times. In many of those instances I only discovered the open door when I got in the car to head home (which means a curious passer by may have opened the door and not realized how to close it).
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Hugh

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 pm

i get a friendly laugh about people who think the door opened by itself. Thinking back after the event, i am always uncertain that I closed it. and I didn't.
As I mentioned once about having door freezeup in the winter, that can be a hairy experience. The very fact that the door is flexible makes it possible to open, even in that case. Peel it out and push on the button. Overall I like the door. Why make it heavy?

I second the use of Silicone spray. I also agree that putting the door in the hood makes it likely to be unable to be opened after a front collision. I also don't like where the Leaf door is. Try clearing snow off of that. or leaving it overnight after a snow storm when snow is piled on it, with a wire sticking out.
There was an enormous amount of largely successful engineering that went into our cars. That's why we love our FFE's.

energizer

Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:11 am

Since I live in a densely populated, old and hilly city in California, we do not have driveways on our side of the street and our 1-car garage is filled with 'stuff' because California houses mostly do not have basements. I will have to park my FFE in the street and since the charge port is on the street side of the vehicle, I will have to have the connector hanging out in the street, which is narrow and fully parked up with cars.
We get tickets for parking facing on coming traffic the wrong way. Maybe I can work something out with the local Police department in that regard.
So my suggestion would be to put the charge port on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Rogerschro

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:17 am

I like it where it is. For me, if it were on the front, I'd most likely be damaging it by walking into it all the time. I got quiet a few shin bruises and broken skin from the hitch on my Ranger before I finally started carrying it in the cab. The side placement works well for me because the mirror sticks out there and is higher so I notice it and go around instead of through it! Also facing against a wall, there is very little room to get in front to plug in but at the side there is (hopefully) enough room to get to it if only because you need room to open your door so it is far more likely you left some space to use the plug.

WetEV

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:59 am

Hugh wrote:I also agree that putting the door in the hood makes it likely to be unable to be opened after a front collision. I also don't like where the Leaf door is. Try clearing snow off of that. or leaving it overnight after a snow storm when snow is piled on it, with a wire sticking out.
Having gotten into an accident with a Leaf, and seen the results of other accidents with Leafs, I doubt if there is any real issue with the front charge door getting stuck after an accident, unless the car is far more damaged than totaled, in which case who cares.

I charge in my garage, and the FFE door is very badly placed for getting past it. One of several reasons why I got a Leaf.

I also like the FFE, having driven one a lot, and suggest it as one of the two best moderate prices EVs. Depending on where and what kind of driving and people's sizes, I'll make the FFE the top suggestion. I'm often puzzled on why the FFE doesn't sell better.

guruuno

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Cold in NJ, 7 last night, 9 the night before, could not open charging door, cannot charge car, battery too low to drive (less than 10 miles), called All American Ford nobody called me back, no answers as to what to do other than call Roadside Assistance.
How the heck is one supposed to be at ease with this junk!?
Now, if my wife takes the car, she is at the top of a mountain in a remote location (where she works, Peapack NJ) and she cannot charge to have enough juice to come home, what then? Pry it open and fight to get it replaced?
Already did the CRC/WD40, SIlicone gig, bottom line is poor design, bad news, and it's enough to make me hate this car regardless of all the joys and plusses it offers.
Anyone want to take over the lease, ends in July 2016, 157.98 per month, it's already paid until March 2017, I'm fed up. 7500 miles, zero dings, dents, zero anything, just don't want to deal with the headaches, gonna buy a BMW i8 or Toyota Hydrogen, Ford can take it to where the sun don't shine, I'm done.

Rogerschro

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:18 pm

guruuno wrote:Cold in NJ, 7 last night, 9 the night before, could not open charging door, cannot charge car, battery too low to drive (less than 10 miles), called All American Ford nobody called me back, no answers as to what to do other than call Roadside Assistance.
How the heck is one supposed to be at ease with this junk!?
Now, if my wife takes the car, she is at the top of a mountain in a remote location (where she works, Peapack NJ) and she cannot charge to have enough juice to come home, what then? Pry it open and fight to get it replaced?
Already did the CRC/WD40, SIlicone gig, bottom line is poor design, bad news, and it's enough to make me hate this car regardless of all the joys and plusses it offers.
Anyone want to take over the lease, ends in July 2016, 157.98 per month, it's already paid until March 2017, I'm fed up. 7500 miles, zero dings, dents, zero anything, just don't want to deal with the headaches, gonna buy a BMW i8 or Toyota Hydrogen, Ford can take it to where the sun don't shine, I'm done.

Sorry to hear you are having those problems. Maybe you could get a hair dryer to heat up the port door so it will open. If there is a charger there is an outlet you can use, or use the 110 in the back seat console area for it.
I doubt you will find any other vehicle without it's own set of problems, but I suppose it comes down to what you are willing to accept.

My port door is pretty slow to open but so far it hasn't been an issue to that level, but I'm sure it would be a nuisance. Not one that rises to the level of dumping the car though. But that is my take, I accept the limitations and quirks of the car. It is far from perfect, but at the cost and with the perks it has I am still very happy with the car overall. I traded my 2012 SEL Focus with leather and winter pack for it. Same body, same color, low miles and a great car all around. I like the electric even more despite the range limits and lack of leather seats, (miss those!). Some would consider the Electric to be inferior to the ICE due to those limits but the benefits outweigh the tradeoff for me and how I use the car.

guruuno

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:33 pm

"use the 110 in the back seat console area for it"
?????? What???????

triangles

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:36 pm

guruuno wrote:"use the 110 in the back seat console area for it"
?????? What???????
+1
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Rogerschro

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:42 pm

guruuno wrote:"use the 110 in the back seat console area for it"
?????? What???????
Sorry, bad memory, the C-max has the 110 outlet in the back of the center console. Had it confused with the Electric. I own both.

Return to “Suggestions for Ford”