JimB_FFE

Dear Ford...

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Dear Ford,

The Focus Electric is a truly wonderful car to drive. Smooth, swift, solid, and silent.

There are a few minor issues I would like to bring to your attention:

Please reduce the sheen of the top of the dash. Sunlight reflecting off the dash onto the rakish windshield can temporarily blind the driver. Polarized glasses or a dash mat solves the problem as a work around.

Please ditch the bright metal trim around the outer dash vents. They reflect off the inside of the side windows right where you look into the side view mirrors. Some black pinstriping tape is a work around for that.

Please provide an ECO setting for the climate control that provides ventilation only with no heating or cooling. The work around for that is to manually set the A/C to off, set the temperature to LO, and the fan to minimum.

Please fix the climate control so that it comes back on with the exact same settings as when it was turned off. As it is now, if you turn off the climate control, all manual settings are lost. The only work around is to never turn it off.

Please provide a simple display that tells the driver how much energy is going into or out of the battery. It would be nice to know I'm regenerating even when I'm not on the brakes.

Please provide a "Manual Transmission" behavior setting that turns off the "creep" and provides heavy regenerative braking when you lift your foot off the accelerator. I find myself shifting into Neutral at long stop lights so I don't have to stand on the brakes.

That's pretty much it for what I'd change on the car. Otherwise you have a hit.

Thank you!

---

What would other FFE owners add to this list?

Hocus Focus

Re: Dear Ford...

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Please add option to turn off light ring. It is an attractive nuisance that invites trouble when parked outside overnight. I use a black garbage bag to cover it up.

MFT+Sync needs lots of tweaking. Software gets bogged down especially if I plug in USB and system becomes unresponsive for minutes.

Would like to use the key fob to open/close windows--bonus if I can do this through MFM.com too.
Last edited by Hocus Focus on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueNotGreen

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 pm

How about a remote control that doesn't trigger "or are you just happy to see me" jokes. Seriously the remote is truly cumbersome.

Oh, and a lock for the glove compartment would be nice.

My gripes are small; this car really delivers on so very much.

dmspen

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:26 am

while we're at it...

How about a light in the charger storage area?

No single touch auto window up/down? Really?

Adjustable cup holders

Rear hatch release from the inside

Charge port inside release

Econenviro

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:07 pm

I like the creep. I would like much stronger regen in low like the Chevy volt. Perhaps it could be configured in setup settings. Even if only by the dealer. My 2012 should be on Monday. I can't wait!

ShilaCypress

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Nice comment. I like this.

aldo

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 pm

I got the FFE 2 months ago. This is a fantastic car to drive. The main issue I have is range. Please Ford give us this car with a 200 - 300 mile range. If Tesla can do it, I believe Ford has the engineering know how to make it happen. I bet it will be a huge seller!

goatea

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:23 pm

great topic. Hopefully Ford will read this.

The steering wheel needs a SIMPLE, one button setting to toggle between maps (navigation), phone, climate and entertainment screens. Toyota does a great job with this in the prius. I find the Ford buttons far too complicated and the screens are just too much when you're driving. It's distracting and frankly a little dangerous. Imagine the dumbest person in the world operating it and then design up from there. Think one button access and not 4 level deep menus. This needs someone from Apple to design this not Microsoft (sorry Sync)

Regarding Sync, I found that saying 'shut up' stops her from listening, but I'm sure there's a more refined approach.

I was partially sold on the car because the dealer mentioned the charger incentives from my local electric company Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. Make no mistake, installing a home charger is a complicated bureaucratic permit process. If Ford would help simplify this process, they would stand to gain a lot more customers.

More range would be nice, but then again, that's more batteries to dispose of later on. I'm mixed on this option until someone figures out how to properly recycle batteries.

The driveability of this car is amazing. It's so powerful and responsive. Overall, I love it.

Yoyogee

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Climate issues (simple vent, fixing the fan issue when turning on the climate system) are at the top of the list. I'd also like a "raw" battery budget setting that isn't tied to my last drive or key that will let me work the power gauge for longer trips. I normally speed around town ('cause it's so damn fun!) and my range budget takes a hit but I would really like to be able to reset the thing when I need to make a longer trip where I'll be sensitive to my range).

danholl
Site Moderator

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Yoyogee wrote:Climate issues (simple vent, fixing the fan issue when turning on the climate system) are at the top of the list. I'd also like a "raw" battery budget setting that isn't tied to my last drive or key that will let me work the power gauge for longer trips. I normally speed around town ('cause it's so damn fun!) and my range budget takes a hit but I would really like to be able to reset the thing when I need to make a longer trip where I'll be sensitive to my range).

I set the left panel to Trip 1 Enhanced and Reset it each time I charge the car. It shows the average Wh/mile used for the trip and shows how many kWh have been used since reset. A full charge is about 19kWh. These two numbers let you see how your doing independent of the computer prediction.

Return to “Suggestions for Ford”