convert to efficient Heat Pump

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstack6

FORD really needs to change the air cond /heater to a very efficient heat pump. The LEAF and SOUL EV have that and it seems to use only 1/3 the energy which can help range. FORD still uses an old compressor and it takes a lot of energy.

The heater is the worse issue. It's resistive, can consume 5 or even 6 kW. If you need to run it full blast for an hour commute, that eats a third of your energy. This is a big omission which they really, really should address.

I'm not sure that a heat pump would improve it that much. Even on the Leaf the heat pump only works down to freezing or so--then a resistive heater kicks in.

Would help me a lot. Never see freezing temps here but run heater in the winter. In any case, it would be a definite move in the right direction. I consider a resistive heater to be a near rule-out for a future BEV. Sincerely hope Bolt doesn't go that direction, although it would be less of a factor with the huge battery.

Heater alone, running full blast, will run down FFE battery in about three hours.

Yep a heat pump would be useful in the milder climate areas like southern CA for cold nights in the 40s-50s, but not much below that.

I would assume, although I don't know for sure, that the resistive heater would simply be used as a pre-heater. Much of the heating would be done by the heat pump even in the coldest weather and therefore be far more efficient than a resistive heater alone.

jstack6 said:
FORD really needs to change the air cond /heater to a very efficient heat pump. The LEAF and SOUL EV have that and it seems to use only 1/3 the energy which can help range. FORD still uses an old compressor and it takes a lot of energy.

You do realize that the only difference between a heat pump and traditional AC is that the heat pump system can run backwards? Ie. pull the heat from outside into the car instead of pull the heat from inside the car to the outside. Below 40-50F they increasingly lose efficiency as the temp drops. At some point below 40F they become less efficient than traditional heating methods.

I generally don't turn on the heat in either my ICE or FFE until it's below 40F so while a heat pump would be nice I don't see it as making a big difference. I'd rather see a propane or gasoline heater.

I was hoping that Ford & MIT had got this to a production ready state:
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/513466/novel-heating-system-could-improve-electric-cars-range/

That and I want the "insta clear" windshield Ford has in Europe (heated front windshield much like the rear defogger).

jmueller065 said:
I was hoping that Ford & MIT had got this to a production ready state... That and I want the "insta clear" windshield Ford has in Europe .

I had forgotten about those. Both those technologies would be awesome to see in the new model.

I'm luck that I rarely need to use the heater, but it would be nice to have a clear windshield now and again. Rolling down my windows doesn't really work. And a 5-10 minutes to fully charge a 200 mile vehicle would be great. But what should we expect as Phones and Laptops barely have this technology yet.

Back