This should be a no-brainer: QuickClear

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

So how come this tech isn't available stateside?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpROemcd4E#action=share

I'm guessing there are some regulations with respect to the front windshield in the US that prevents this type of feature (especially since in the video they say its been around for 20 years). It most likely would use no more power than the rear defroster and thus would be a perfect addition to the FFE.

Hm interesting discussions about it between myself and Ford of Europe here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/117195985130161924634/posts/AWwHch3zNaU

I can't see how this feature wouldn't be popular?!

Interesting you can get it on the Ford Transit... a redesigned vehicle. I'll bet it was engineered to accommodate the option, the suppliers found to provide it, option packages configured to include it and production lines built accordingly.

It's also interesting that it is on a primarily commercial vehicle here in the US... meaning the cost / benefit of any additional expense is well justified.

One final thought... cars in Europe are FAR more expensive. Odds are the differential cost with the heated windscreen isn't significant.

All that said, I wish I had one!

Jenny

jmueller065 said:
It most likely would use no more power than the rear defroster and thus would be a perfect addition to the FFE.
I guess the cost and power usage must have hurt its adoption. From the Blue Oval forums:
A second alternator is provided on cars equipped with this option
...this option was short lived due in part to its cost, which was $306.70 on the Mark IV in 1974.
A second alternator!?! It must use a lot more than the rear defroster, unless they've seriously improved the efficiency in the past 40 years. Arcing electricity between two sandwiched layers in the glass must take a lot more oomph than just energizing some high-resistance wire.

You missed this text:
The system that was on the 06-08 Explorer/Mountaineer/Sport Trac was more like the rear window defroster used fine lines in the windshield. It was only a $300 option, however most dealers didn't order it for stock units. (could be fixed with proper packaging)
Thus no 2nd alternator and not as expensive as the one using gold!

Certainly a better way to do it, if the lines are really thin enough to be effectively invisible.

It wouldn't be the only time a lack of marketing effort on Ford's part resulted in nobody knowing that an option existed (*cough* FFE advertising *cough*).

Heated windshields are indeed a much more affordable and technically simple matter today than they were in the 70’s. Remember that back then an alternator that had a 50 amp output was pretty much the maximum both in terms of what was needed and what could be sourced at an economical cost to the auto manufacturers. Today alternators of over 100 amps are commonly available and cost less than their 60 amp predecessors in real terms.

Fine-wire defrosters utilizing many thin wires at a very close (1/8” spacing) have been available for a long time (my 1967 Rover TC 2000 had such a defroster fitted in the rear window). They are essentially invisible once one is more than a couple of feet away from them and do not produce a significant diffraction pattern so they are suitable for windshield applications. I expect that the new versions have even finer wires at a closer spacing. I’d readily pay $300 for a heated FFE windscreen and probably a similar amount for a heated steering wheel. Those plus heated seats all round would allow FFE drivers and passengers to be reasonably comfortable with the heater set to low minimizing its affect on range in all but the coldest of winter days.

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

Back