philly_ev

Battery Percentage

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:08 pm

I would love it if the battery percentage would so on the dash, possibly next to the 'miles to empty'. I view the battery percentage as the amount of 'gas' in my 'tank'. I would like to look at both of these on the same display, without having to have my navigation replaced by the one screen that shows the percentage. My dad has an old Ford Ranger EV, and it shows the battery capacity as well as distance to empty in the dash.

jmueller065

Re: Battery Percentage

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:10 pm

It is on the dash--sort of. There is the bar graph part of the battery display--that is the % it just isn't showing a value.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

philly_ev

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm

I more heavily rely on the percentage itself - it's much easier to read and gives me a better gauge on how much 'juice' I have left.

sefs

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:56 am

It would be nice for it to have the miles and the percentage. Just like on the app.
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Multicoat Red Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Electric Ingot Silver - Sold
BRUSA Boosted to 46A at 240V charging, 11kW
Chademo DC Quick Charge Enabled!
Home Quick Charger --> 33.8 kW AC / 31.3 kW DC

NightHawk

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:48 pm

sefs wrote:It would be nice for it to have the miles and the percentage. Just like on the app.
Yep that would be my wish as well.
I've noticed that the displayed battery percentage left on the console charging screen doesn't appear to be accurate however compared to the miles left (range) displayed.

Last night I drove my new FFE only about 4 miles total on nearby surface streets going to a couple stores at slow speeds and yet the battery percentage showed dropped from 100% when I left the house down to 92% when I got home.
No way it should drop that much, equivalent to about 1.6KWH (8% of 19.5KWH battery)?
The car's trip display indicated I only used 1.1KWH (which should be only about 5% used of the battery) so it doesn't add up! It should have only gone down from 100% to 95%, not 92%.

Is the battery percentage estimate off compared to the energy used display and range/miles left display calculated?
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

studio460

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:54 am

A numeric percentage display would be much more helpful. I'm constantly having the visually estimate my "point-of-no-return." I may lose my ability to charge (120V) at work, so this will become more and more critical.
2014 Ford Focus Electric, Oxford White/leather; Ford splash guards; ST replica spoiler, matte-black; de-badged.
Lamin-X smoked reverse-light tint/blued headlight tint.

jmueller065

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:54 am

studio460 wrote:I'm constantly having the visually estimate my "point-of-no-return."
The car knows that value and will warn you--at least when you're getting to that point away from one of your value charge locations. I've received the warning several times now.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

michael

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:49 am

NightHawk wrote:
sefs wrote:It would be nice for it to have the miles and the percentage. Just like on the app.
Yep that would be my wish as well.
I've noticed that the displayed battery percentage left on the console charging screen doesn't appear to be accurate however compared to the miles left (range) displayed.

Last night I drove my new FFE only about 4 miles total on nearby surface streets going to a couple stores at slow speeds and yet the battery percentage showed dropped from 100% when I left the house down to 92% when I got home.
No way it should drop that much, equivalent to about 1.6KWH (8% of 19.5KWH battery)?
The car's trip display indicated I only used 1.1KWH (which should be only about 5% used of the battery) so it doesn't add up! It should have only gone down from 100% to 95%, not 92%.

Is the battery percentage estimate off compared to the energy used display and range/miles left display calculated?

It is a known characteristic that the reported charge level drops excessively in the first mile or so. I don't know what it means and why is it so but it consistently happens.

As far as judging whether you will reach your destination, I have found the cup of energy display to be very useful. It shows you how many Wh per mile you will need to achieve to make it
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

hybridbear

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:06 am

Perhaps it drops so quickly because there's no regen braking at the beginning.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

WattsUp

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:27 am

michael wrote:As far as judging whether you will reach your destination, I have found the cup of energy display to be very useful. It shows you how many Wh per mile you will need to achieve to make it
Also useful is to enter your destination in the navigation system -- and always answer "yes" to "will you charge the battery?" there, even if you won't. Answering yes turns the "status" display into a "surplus" display (and affects the cup display too).

In this mode, perhaps more useful than the cup display, is to simply keep a positive surplus (which indicates the range you'll have remaining after reaching your destination). A positive surplus means you'll make it, negative means you won't. If the surplus starts to get low, or goes negative, don't panic! -- simply slow down just a bit (esp. easy when using cruise control) and wait for the surplus to increase. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, and see that you have surplus to spare (and perhaps will be charging at your destination), why not speed up a bit, or enjoy some A/C.

For longer trips, I find it easier to simply track the surplus, rather that watch every movement of the energy meter in or out of the cup. The cup is kinda like a "micro" indicator, and can be highly variable and "of the moment". The surplus is a "macro" indicator, and is more stable and predictable. Watching the surplus works especially well for freeway trips on fairly flat terrain. I've found it's estimation to be very accurate in that scenario and trust it to get me to my destination, even when running with a low single-digit surplus.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

Return to “Suggestions for Ford”