portable

150 mile range

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:47 am

I would give anything to have a 150 mile range. when we leased our '13 FFE my wife was using it to go 20-25 miles a day to work. But after I changed jobs I started using it to go to work. I generally go 50-60 miles working as an heavy equipment operator, but can go as far as 75-80. depending on the job. In the summer months there was no problems what so ever. but now that the weather has cooled, I find myself pulsing the defrosters on and off. Driving with just the seat warmer on and constantly staring at the remaining miles. Ive returned home with 2 miles left in the batteries.
When we first got the car it would unplug from 83 to as much as 100 miles of charge. Now that the days are cooler if not downright cold, I'm seeing 65-72 miles when unplugged. Thats with everything shut off. I don't consider 35-40 miles one way an excessive commute . I just wish i could do it year round without freezing myself during the winter months. Ford should offer a 150 mile battery pack as an option. Especially when that 'hole"/pit area near the rear of the car mostly sits empty from it being not so handy to use. I would gladly pay an additional 5-6K for that option.
But , since we "leased" our FFE we will see how the range is on a replacement at end of the lease. If they haven't gotten better or offer a 150 mile range, Tesla should be offering there 200 mile pr. charge sedan by then(below 35K). When that day comes, they will not be able to make enough of them fast enough to fill orders. It will be like the I-phone was when it first came out. I hope Ford is dedicated to producing an electric car and not just offering a peace offering on a commonly produced body style. Tesla will be hard to compete with as they only produce electric powered vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I love our FFE. And I support buying american. I just don't think 50-60 miles per charge consistently, is quite enough to keep people from experiencing range anxiety. everybody has there own opinion, I just find it amazing that tesla picked 200 miles per charge as the next major release of a commuter vehicle .

pjam3

Re: 150 mile range

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:58 am

150 miles would be great. When you get around 60 miles, it means a lot of places become "can't use the EV today." I've driven up small hills and after about a mile, my EV loses about 5+ miles. The other issue is the charging stations. I went to a Blink station last night and it was at some office complex. So it was late and nobody was around, but there was also nothing in walking distance around. So i had to wait. Read a book , but still.

And even though it was supposed to be a Level 2 station, I was there for over an hour and i gained about 10 miles. I left my office with around 11 miles, got to the blink station with 9 miles, left the blink station about an hour and 15 minutes later with 20 miles. If you have a car that avgs about 60 miles of driving and it would take over 6 hours just to charge it on a Level 2 charger, that's a problem.

One issue I have is with people who keep saying Tesla is going to have this or that. Tesla has a $100K car. Maybe people haven't tried to buy one or know the realities, but I've seen plenty of people say "after rebates it's only.." except Tesla includes a lot of marketing BS in their pricing. That $7500 is already included. You can be cheap and wind up with an $85K car, but that's about as cheap as you'll get that damn car if you actually want to use it. So yeah, they keep saying they will build a $50K car, but their next model, the Model X, is going to be more expensive than the Model S. It's more like an SUV. It might get less than the S, but it'll have more room.

So the reality is, Tesla might have a $30K car in the year 2025, other than that, it's up to the big manufacturers. And Telsa now needs to start relying on actually selling their cars instead of making more money on Energy Credits they were getting from the Big Auto companies. Now that the big auto companies have started doing their own EV models, they don't need to pay Tesla for compliance. And we've already seen Tesla take a hit in revenue because of that. If you look at their numbers, they are the most popular EV, but they also don't have anything else to sell and they don't have any $20K car that millions of people are buying. I would love for Tesla to succeed, I just don't see a cheap car from them anytime soon, and maybe never. They might just be that niche car company that sells $100K cars.

oilman

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Portable,

I was just going to create a new post to highlight the results of a new study that finds that 42% of all drivers in the US can meet all of their needs with a fully electric car, based on miles driven per day, number of passengers, and hauling requirements. In fact, over 69% driver fewer miles than the range provided by a car like the FFE.

http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/images/cv/ ... llsize.jpg

I do agree (and other studies have shown) that 150 miles of range seems to be the break point for most people. That provides enough cushion for the cold days and can get you to grandma’s house and back. Here’s hoping that all of your jobs are within 50 miles round trip!

Oilman

portable

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Pjam3,
I have to disagree, Elon musk has never gone back on his word. He started producing electric cars the way he refereed to as reverse engineering. make the best electric car in the world at limited production #'s and see what you can change to make it better and see how its received by the public. The roadster didn't sell that well at all, but was an amazing schooling for the developing company. Albeit while he was mastering putting rockets into space (Space X) to supply the space station.
From the beginning he said he wanted to produce a roadster, then a sedan(car and drivers unanimous car of the year) an SUV and last but not least, an affordable sedan commuter(200 mile range) car for under 35K. The Model X will be out in the spring. lets see the awards that are showered upon that vehicle. He has hopes of bringing the
latter to us by 2015 or early 2016. But , I commend him on his fortitude in the face of all the nay-sayers and back stabbers of todays society. Not so different from the days of Nicloa Tesla, The name sake for his prized company. Give him the chance to prove you wrong, and you "WILL" be amazed !

Astrand1

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Well I can address the issue with the blink chargers because I have noticed the same. All of the blink chargers that I have used appear to only support 3.3kw. So that is about 10 miles an hour. I much prefer the ChargePoint stations. They seem to all support 6.6kw charging. I really wanted to get a model S myself but just could not justify the monthly payment. I'm thinking in 3 yrs when my lease is up I will either buy the FFE or hopefully the used market for model S will be better and I can pick one up that way. :)
Alex
2014 Ingot Silver with leather
Mods:
All lights converted to LED
Auto dimming mirror with homelink
LED eyebrows converted to daytime running lights
All windows tinted
Delivered Nov 2013

davideos

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:52 pm

I did see a used "certified" Tesla roadster for sale on their site. It was a 2008 selling for $58k. Although I really like my FFE, I wonder if my decision would have been the same if that car was sitting next to the FFE ready for a test drive.

On another point, if Tesla did offer a $35k car after Federal rebate, I wonder if market demand will drive the price up anyway. I'm sure many people are awed by what Tesla has achieved and would be interested.

As for the real subject of this thread, it would be awesome if a range extender battery was offered. Even if it had to be buckled into the back seat or trunk. I'm sure there would be a bunch of issues such as weight distribution, braking distance, and maybe even crash testing....permanently integrated or not. 50mi is typically sufficient for me; however, there are occasions when an extra 50mi would get me where I want to go without driving 55 on the FWY. :)

WattsUp

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:17 pm

pjam3 wrote:And even though it was supposed to be a Level 2 station, I was there for over an hour and i gained about 10 miles.
Could have a been a low-current station. 208V at 15A is still Level 2, but will charge at around half the speed of 208V at 30A.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

michael

Blink provides only 3 KW

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:15 pm

http://www.plugincars.com/blink-chargin ... 28028.html

There were problems with overheating, so Blink reduced their charging rate. I think economics might also have been involved. Agree...Chargepoint is preferable
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

michael

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:17 pm

If Ford would offer increased range as an extra-cost option, I'd be very inclined to buy it. Even 120 miles is way better than 70-80
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

WattsUp

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:15 pm

michael wrote:If Ford would offer increased range as an extra-cost option, I'd be very inclined to buy it. Even 120 miles is way better than 70-80
A version where the entire trunk area is filled with battery? ;)
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

Return to “Suggestions for Ford”