Cup Holders

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJohnson

Does anyone else have problems with the cupholders in the FFE? They are fine for cans, bottles and some plastic bottles/glasses. However, anything in a styrofoam cup is really hard to get out. The black rubber flapper lets the cup drop in, but when I pull it out, the styrofoam is so soft, I've actually poked a hole in the side of the cup. I've learned I can't put that kind of drink cup in the holder. I hate to complain about something as small as the cupholders on a car that is so great. Maybe someone at Ford will see and at least review the use of the black rubber flappers.

I've had problems with them too. Be extra careful with paper coffee cups- While driving, trying to pull the cup out, I applied too much pressure to the cup and popped the plastic lid off. Made a bit of a mess but fortunately no burn, no accident.
I have noticed that the plastic lip has softened over the 6 months I've had the car, so it grabs less now.

Hello all, new to this Forum with a new 2014 FFE. I'll add my agreement that the cup holders are the first thing I found that I disliked. Could be a tad larger and loose the rigid retainers. My 2 cents.

I've had the car for almost 2 months and without a doubt the worst feature are those useless cup holders. They are almost unusable and I am still trying to figure out a solution. Seems like Ford could have done better even with the limited space.

Snowman said:
I've had the car for almost 2 months and without a doubt the worst feature are those useless cup holders. They are almost unusable and I am still trying to figure out a solution. Seems like Ford could have done better even with the limited space.
I dunno. I find the the cupholders as functional as others, and I don't mind the grabbiness (though it has subsided from when the rubber was brand-new). I guess it might depend on what type of cup you put in them.

I've found every cupholder in any vehicle can be a problem, it just depends on what cup or container is used. Each design has a good and bad side, the problem comes in when the dominate cup or container you use happens to be the one that doesn't fit the holder designed in your car. So car X has a design that works with cup Z but not cup Y, while car Z has a holder that works with Y, but not Z or X. Having said all that, the Focus design in my 2012 is a bit too close to the arm rest for convenience, but is acceptable to me.

NightHawk said:
I just use that area for holding other loose stuff rather than cups...
Haha... yeah, honestly I find most cups are fine (as I said earlier). But, most of the time, I just keep a water bottle in one holder (for which removal and insertion isn't a problem) and my electric shaver in the other (yeah, I shave on the way to work... haha). :D

I have a reusable water bottle that I use and it often gets stuck on the rubber flap. It is quite annoying. The cup holders work great for store-bought bottled water, coffee travel mugs, Starbucks cups, etc. They are in a far less intrusive location than in the Fusion for us.

Does anyone know where the center console cup holder drains to? My wife spilled a cup of tea that drained through the bottom. The dealer advised "bringing in the car for a checkout" because it could "cause a wiring problem". Would ford really put a cup holder drain hole into a wiring space?! I assume the tea either drained into the center tunnel and ran out the bottom, or into the interior carpet covering the tunnel. Does anyone have any idea of where the drainage goes?

mchafs
2014 FFE 10,000 miles
Lots of bicycles

OK, spilled tea update. I unsnapped the cupholder/seat heater switch assembly and looked underneath. It appears that small quantities of liquids (</= cup) spilled in the cupholder drain down harmlessly into the carpet and over the parking brake lever system. The only wiring in the area is the wiring to the seat heater / AUX power assembly and it's pretty out of the way from the direct drainage path. There is no way to clean it up however, so I would not want to spill anything noxious down there.

Well, yes. The brake lever arm is cast aluminum and therefore non-corrosive, the pivot points are well greased, and the liquid drains off and into the carpet and soundproofing before evaporating. Small quantities inadvertently spilled in the cup holder should be OK.

Probably the first thing I noticed I didn't like about the car. Wound up buying a stainless vacuum cup from Menards. If I get a tea from McDs and forget my SS cup I get a plastic pop cup to put the Styrofoam cup into. At least I can pull the Styrofoam cup out without tearing it.

Back