FFE Tint Thread

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that looks really good. I like the tint, and your Focus Electric looks real clean without the door badge!

Rwbill said:
Just a caveat that some states have laws about tinting windows, so check first if you are not sure in your state.

This is a very good point. Some states are also more strict in enforcement than others - Kansas not so much.

Dave_M said:
Fluke said:
Show us your tinted Focus Electric...Here's mine back from the tinter today. This is a 20% tint all around, the direct sun photo makes it look darker than it really is. I also didn't like the size of the "ELECTRIC" badge on the doors, so removed them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79851664@N08/7416588362/

How did you remove the badging?

The badging on the FFE (as is most badging these days) is held on using a fairly pliable glue. I used waxed dental floss to cut the glue between the painted surface and the back of the letters. Fishing line can be used instead of dental floss. Applying some moderate heat from a hair dryer makes cutting the glue easier. Once the letters are off, most of the remaining glue can be rolled off with your fingers. If any remains, Goo Gone or similar can be used to get the rest off.

There are quite a few YouTube videos showing how to remove badging some with slight variations on what I did.

Hi Fluke,

Awesome Ford Focus electric and great to have you on the focus electric forum. Couple quick questions:

-What was the difference between Oxford White and Platinum White?

-Did Ford really charge you an extra $495 for platinum white?

Very sweet tint job. Makes the car look really, really good. Keep us posted on any more upgrades you decide to make to you ford focus electric.

I have trouble telling Oxford White apart from White Platinum in photos. In person, you can see that the White Platinum has a metallic look to it. These are both colors used on other Ford cars, so you can compare the two at a dealership.

I did pay the up-charge for White Platinum, but it was mostly because the car was available while an Oxford White one was not. Its funny though, I've put deposits down on two other cars over the years with similar metallic white paint and for various reasons the deals fell through. This is my first white car and so far I'm liking it.

I'll keep you posted - the car is currently at the Ford dealer's body shop having a paint defect on the bumper repaired. While they were doing paint work on the bumper, I am having them fill the holes left by the selling dealer for an unwanted front license plate :x .

After the paint has cured, I will make another attempt to have a clear bra installed. Right now, I've got the hood and passenger fender done which was when the installer noticed that there was a bumper defect and stopped his install. What was done is great looking - full hood with the edges wrapped so no seams. The body shop inspector didn't believe that it had a bra installed on the hood because of the lack of a line and the film is smooth and similar to paint in sheen.

My car made it back from the dealer doing the bumper repaint work. I really wish I didn't have to get a new car part repainted because I don't think it will be as durable as factory - they did a good job of matching the paint. The clear bra should take care of my concerns about durability.

I'm glad I went ahead and had them take care of the hole in the bumper from the license plate bracket - It looks much better now! Also, the misalignment between the hood and bumper has been mostly corrected. It appears that they adjusted the hood downward and it definitely looks better. Not perfect, but better...

Oh brother. Frosted Glass is now called Ice Storm, but looks more like a light blue? :shock: Take a look at the new Focus site for 2013 colors etc... I wish they'd talk to me before they change these colors. I already bonded on Frosted Glass :cry:

http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-Focus#/Technology/

IMO, the colors (both exterior and interior) shown on ford.com for the FFE are completely inaccurate (except for white, black, and silver). I have no idea how they messed this up so badly.

In person, Ice Storm is a pale green metallic. Actually kinda nice, but nothing like the "light blue" car shown at ford.com. (Which actually wouldn't be a bad color.)

Blue Candy looks horrible on the site, and a different kind of horrible in person. (No offense anyone who has this color.) I liked the idea of blue for my FFE, and was hoping for a nice navy blue metallic (in other photos, I've seen Blue Candy look like that) and I might have gone for it in that case. But, the actual color, especially in sunlight, has this garish bluish/green "glow" to it. (Again, garish only in my opinion.)

Platinum White is a metallic "very light creme color", I would say, not really white. I goes very nicely with the dark/tan two-tone coloring of the interior (even though I usually prefer fully dark interiors). I got the Platinum White for my FFE.

Speaking of interiors, on ford.com, both the cloth and leather seating would appear to have a definite "gray" color, almost appearing dark. In reality, it is very much a light tan color... a "sandy" kind of shade.

Pictures of my white FFE with tinting:

D6998566_660_980345960

D6998566_660_980345707

I went with full black on all the back. Then a 80% (let's 80% of the light through) on the front windows. Nothing on the windshield. The 80% in CA is illegal, but slight enough that I shouldn't get pulled for it. The back is great. Super hard to see anything inside, yet still easy to see out. Love it.

Back