studio460

California drivers: Show us pictures of your CAV stickers!

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 am

I saw a funny Nissan Leaf thread about "creative" CAV (Clean Air Vehicle) sticker placement. I plan to place mine very carefully, using a level and a transparent ruler. I would love to see some photos of anyone's HOV sticker application (even if it's a photo of someone else's FFE). Thanks!

Apologies if this Nissan link has been posted before, but these are pretty funny: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5219
2014 Ford Focus Electric, Oxford White/leather; Ford splash guards; ST replica spoiler, matte-black; de-badged.
Lamin-X smoked reverse-light tint/blued headlight tint.

studio460

Re: California drivers: Show us pictures of your CAV sticker

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:53 am

I just found WattsUp's sticker thread. Placement looks pretty good:

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/vi ... f=14&t=995
2014 Ford Focus Electric, Oxford White/leather; Ford splash guards; ST replica spoiler, matte-black; de-badged.

v_traveller

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Never saw that Leaf link before, thanks!

It seems that over half of the stickers out there are "creatively placed", so I wrote this up to hopefully help folks out:

http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2014/07/eyeballing-it.html

My first attempt to sticker a plug-in came out straight, thanks to WattsUp's advice:

ImageImage
vin
2015 B-Class Electric Drive - Cirrus White
2014 Volt - Summit White
2014 RAV4 EV - Blizzard Pearl White
2013 FFE - White Platinum Metallic (2/2013 -12/2015)
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/

WattsUp

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 pm

v_traveller wrote:http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2014/07/eyeballing-it.html

My first attempt to sticker a plug-in came out straight, thanks to WattsUp's advice
Great write-up, v_traveller! And thanks for the kind reference.

I'm still happy with my FFE sticker placement. Just to note, I don't really see too many "badly" done sticker jobs on FFEs, say, as I do Leafs or Volts. But, probably just because they (FFEs) are fewer in number.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

studio460

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:19 am

v_traveller wrote:It seems that over half of the stickers out there are "creatively placed", so I wrote this up to hopefully help folks out:
Excellent write-up, v_traveller! Thanks! Your blue tape actually gave me a new graphic idea (whether I actually proceed is another story). Oh well, thanks to Watts' posts, I know I still have many weeks to think about it. Now, I have to wait for the plates (standard-issue California plates). I remember ordering my special plates (press plates), and those took forever (8 weeks?).

studio460

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:25 am

Here's the graphic idea:

I may apply the CAV stickers on top of another sticker. The idea I got from seeing v's photos is to create a blue gradient in Photoshop, then print it onto clear adhesive-backed acetate or some other plastic (I'll check with a signage or tint shop to see what they recommend--maybe that clear film people use for bras). This will give the CAV sticker a "badge" look. Of course, it may end up looking totally lame, too.

Unfortunately, my car is Oxford White, which is really optically white (I'm really picky about this stuff), so the CAV sticker's off-white background won't blend in as well as on Watts' FFE. I was even thinking of over-laying a color-correction gel (e.g., Lee 1/8th CTB) over the top of the sticker to subtract the warm pigment out of the sticker (it would then appear "white"). I read that they self-destruct to discourage tampering, so I know I'll only have one shot at the overlay application.

Another option is to heat-laminate the correction gel on top, sandwiching the CAV sticker between the adhesive backed under-layer.
Last edited by studio460 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

studio460

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:32 am

WattsUp wrote:Just to note, I don't really see too many "badly" done sticker jobs on FFEs, say, as I do Leafs or Volts. But, probably just because they (FFEs) are fewer in number.
Perhaps it's because FFE owners are more sensitive to the cars' aesthetics (since it's such a pretty car, and the Leaf is, um . . . )

NightHawk

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Down here the San Diego county Ford dealers put those stickers on the FFEs while they are still on the lot before they are sold. They pay the $8 fee for you and buy a bunch of the stickers for all their supply of hybrids & electric cars in batches ahead of time and apply them. All they have you do is sign a form for transferring ownership of the decals to you instead of the dealer.

2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

WattsUp

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:55 am

NightHawk wrote:Down here the San Diego county Ford dealers put those stickers on the FFEs while they are still on the lot before they are sold.
Ahahgg! That would drive me nuts.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

studio460

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:12 am

Yesterday, I received a letter from the DMV denying my CAV application because the decals assigned to my VIN had already been issued to the dealer six weeks ago! It's been almost two months since I bought the car, and now this? After checking my mailbox day after day . . . imagine my disappointment (though, describing my reaction as "disappointment" is a huge understatement)! Well, after a rather pleasant series of inquires at two dealerships, the CAV stickers are now in my hot little hands.

Since my car was a dealer-trade, they were first mailed from the trading dealer to the selling dealer's corporate office. Then the corporate office mailed it to the selling dealer. Then, they just sat on someone's desk for a couple weeks. But, I really should count my blessings. They weren't lost, stolen, or given to another customer (another application, and another four-week wait). They were supposed to be applied to the car already by the original dealer (that's their standard sales procedure for hybrids and electrics--they pre-order the decals using the VIN only somehow, and apply them to the vehicles prior to sale), but for some reason weren't. Certainly glad of that!

Now that I have them (I've been driving illegally in HOV lanes for weeks now, and almost everyday on the 110 freeway since I picked up my FasTrak transponder), I was wondering if anyone has considered mounting them on their window glass instead of on the body? I just taped one to the rear-passenger, fixed-window just to try it out. I was thinking of placing the small decal on the lower-right area of the rear-hatch glass (right-justified to the "electric" badge). I know the DMV instructs drivers to place them on the rear bumper and "behind the rear wheel well," but my decal package contained no such instructions.

[ . . . some time passes.] Yeah, I think I'd like a glass-only application. I can always tell the CHP that I plan on painting the car, so I couldn't mount them on the body (half-true). During my illegal HOV usage, I've had two CHP officers pass me by--one cruiser, one motorcycle--neither one batted an eye, but boy was I nervous. At least I'm mostly legal now. Finally, I'll have (almost) nothing to fear when I see CHP officers while driving in the HOV lanes now. Tomorrow, I ride the HOV lane with gusto!

Return to “Pictures, Videos”