Has anyone gotten a Colorado tax credit for 2012 FFE buy?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountaineer

Our tax preparer says the 2013 FFE we bought 31 Dec 2012 is not listed among the many approved models for the $6,000 Colorado tax credit, even though according to the rules it should qualify as a Category 1 EV. The Colorado rules document says to write the Colorado Dept of Revenue in such a case, so we will, but we wonder if any other buyer preparing taxes to file next month has had a similar experience—or not, which would be even more helpful. Thanks!

I'm in the denver metro area and looking to buy a FFE. What did you figure out for your state taxes? I figured the state tax credit for the FFE would be similar to the Leaf which is in the table. Thanks!

Trouble is, you can't infer one electric model's Colorado tax credit from another. The credit is a fraction (as I recall, 75%, but not to exceed $6k) of the manufacturer's marginal cost of making it electric rather than conventional, so that marginal cost is model-specific and is worked out with the Colorado Dept of Revenue based on the manufacturer's documentation (easy in this case because there's a conventional Focus, so you just adjust for trim package) and perhaps some negotiation.

We have written twice to the Colorado Department of Revenue with no response and are about to call them. I'll post here anything we learn. My guess is that they're simply behind on the paperwork for this model and counting on folks to file for IRS extensions until they get the job done.

This is the only state department of revenue information i've ever been able to find on the matter:
http://www.colorado.gov/cms/forms/dor-tax/Income67.pdf
So based on the above report:
CO state credit = 0.75 * (FFE price - Federal Credit - equally equipped focus price)
not to exceed $6,000

looks like a comparably equipped gas focus is about $26,000 so the state incentive should be about $4,000?

It's based on EV's marginal mfg cost not price (battery is reportedly about $10k, plus electric drive & controls, less conventional Powertrain). And you can't do your own calc. State officials must do it based on OEM data...but they haven't yet.

Back